AutoCAD 2009 PDF printing problem

vefer

I have AutoCAD 2009. When I print a PDF, all the different layers come out looking the same. In other words, in my drawing I have layers that are say green and other layers that are cyan. Supposedly, the green layer is darker and thicker than the cyan layer. But when I print the PDF, all the layers come out with the same thickness and darkness.

But if I plot the DWG file, the lines show up the way they should be. The problem only happens when plotting PDF's.

I hope someone can help me fix this.

Thank you.

What I do is I open my drawing in AutoCAD. Then I go to 'plot' and under 'printer/plotter' I select 'cute pdf writer' and save the drawing as a pdf.

I would like to say: use the same plot styles for PDF as you use for the right prints. But then, I realised that I don't understand what are you actually doing...

What do you mean by 'printing DWG' and 'printing PDF'? Are you printing from AutoCAD or other software? Is a PDF an inserted object in DWG drawing?

plotpdf.jpg

Blackfish: Using 'cute pdf writer' for my printer/plotter, and if I set my pen assignments on 'acad.ctb' (like you suggest), and I do the 'preview' of the print, the preview shows the drawing in color. It shouldn't be in color.

You should have the same plot style for PDF as you use for the 'right' plot i.e. 'your-right-plot-style.ctb'... Sorry for that, but acad.ctb was in my image by accident, it's showing where it is in dialog box.

Blackfish: The only choices I have for Plot Style (Pen Assignments) are: None, Acad, DWF Virtual Pens, Fill Patterns, Grayscale, Monochrome, Screening 100%, Screening 25%, Screening 50%, Screening 75%. There's also the choice of New... where I can import or create a new plot style. Maybe that's what I need to do, but I do not know how to proceed.

The one I said was OK (in other words, all different layers printed the way they should) was when I printed the drawing on my 8-1/2x11 printer (HP Office jet 5610). The settings I use for this one were: Pinter/plotter = HP Officejet 5600 series. Plot style = Grayscale.

But if I use Grayscale on the PDF, it prints with all the lines showing the same thickness and darkness.

What I want is to be able to print my PDF and that all the different layers come out showing their different thicknesses.

I hope it makes sense what I'm trying to explain.:oops: Thank you ... and thank you for sending the tutorial ... I'll check it out.:)

If you use the Acad Std CTB file it does not know what pen assignments you have done. You will need to make your own CTB file and assign the pen thicknesses to say a colour

You also could try Monochrome - but that will still only do 1 thickness pen type.

If you use the Acad Std CTB file it does not know what pen assignments you have done. You will need to make your own CTB file and assign the pen thicknesses to say a colour

You also could try Monochrome - but that will still only do 1 thickness pen type.

I use monochrome.ctb exclusively and it plots lineweights perfectly for me, even in pdf. But then, I have not monkeyed up my pen assignments.

What I don't do is use CutePDF at all. I use AutoDesk TrueView (free) to plot my pdfs. I started using it when I discovered that AutoCad 2009 has bad issues with its own dwg to pdf.pc3. TrueView simply uses all the drawing and layout specs already set up in AutoCad. All you have to do is 'open with' and plot.

Original OP, are you selecting "Plotting with Plotstyles" on the layout? Do not select the "Scale Lineweights" option.

Grant: Thanks for your input, it makes sense. Now the question is how to make my own CTB file and assign the pen thicknesses to say a colour.

Dana W: How do you get AutoDesk TrueView? Where is the icon 'open with'? I am selecting "Plotting with Plotstyles" and I am not selecting "Scale Lineweights".

Thank you all for your help :D

AutoDesk TrueView is available from the Autodesk web site. It's a good program to have for times like these.

Grant: Thanks for your input, it makes sense. Now the question is how to make my own CTB file and assign the pen thicknesses to say a colour.

Dana W: How do you get AutoDesk TrueView? Where is the icon 'open with'? I am selecting "Plotting with Plotstyles" and I am not selecting "Scale Lineweights".

Thank you all for your help :D

I can't answer you about color/weight. I simply asign the lines a weight by layer and let the mono ctb use those. Works beautifully.

TrueView is a free download at AutoDesk.com. Open With... Is a right click option in Windows explorer do it on a dwg file icon.

What you can do is edit the CTB file - usually I make a copy of it and change the copy because if it is in the same directory it will come up in the list as well. Dir: C:\Users\'Youname'\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2013 - English\R19.0\enu\Plotters\Plot Styles of course mine is Acad2013 but it should be similar.

Then In Acad:

Plot

In 'Plot Style Table' click the CTB file you want to change

Click the button on the right of that, that edits the file

Goto Form View tab

Click Color 1 (or any one)

Change the lineweight thickness

Grant: This may sound like a dumb question :oops:, but how do you make a copy of a CTB file? Can you walk me through it? I do not have any trouble editing the file, but I don't know how to copy one.

Thanks.