scaling problem

newlearnerautocad

i am using autocad2012.I need to draw in architectural units......and the drawing includes dimensions as large as 100 feet ...so i changed the scale to 10 in dimstyle....The problem is that it shows the dimension in that scale when i use dimlinear option but when i give the values to draw that line it plots it in 1:1 scale

so if i give 10 feet dimension,on using dimlinear it shows the dimension to be 100 feet.

plz help i am a newbie ....any help is greatly appreciated.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Bill Tillman

• Dadgad

• newlearnerautocad

Top Posters In This Topic

There will be others chime in on this soon but it sounds like a typical newbie approach to AutoCAD, that is you are trying to "draw to a scale" rather than "present what you've drawn to a scale". You can of course do this with AutoCAD but it just complicates your work.

Instead, you will want to draw all things in model space to a 1:1 scale. It doesn't matter if it's 1" or 10,000 light years. AutoCAD is basically an infinite universe and you are not limited by scale.

Once you have drawn your objects at full scale in model space you can use several different methods to present your drawing, either to file (PDF) or to a printer, using an appropriate scale for the media (paper size) you are using. I know this is always a difficult hurdle for new users to grasp, but once you master model space and viewports, you're on way to drawing anything, anywhere, to any scale. Think of model space as an infinitely large canvas. Don't limit yourself to the size of the paper you're working with. That's what AutoCAD is made to take care of for you.

but if i draw with 1:1 scale the drawing becomes too big and difficult to work with....:/

No, it doesn't. AutoCAD will accommodate the increase in size. As a matter of fact it is entirely possible to draw our solar system in AutoCAD. Your 100 feet versus our solar system. Think on it.

You really do NOT want to be drawing anything "to scale" as one would on a drafting board. Those days are over. Maybe if you were 80 years old and had been doing nothing but manually drafting up until yesterday and had just made the switch to CAD that might be acceptable but you are a newbie who should be doing things the right way from the beginning.

but if i draw with 1:1 scale the drawing becomes too big and difficult to work with....:/

Welcome to the forum. :)

Your perception of the size of the drawing comes from how far you are zoomed into it, back up (zoom out) a bit and it should all start to make sense.

Bill is right as rain, you should be drawing at 1:1.

You will likely be surprised to see that one of the dimensional unit options is LIGHT YEARS!

And, when you are using them, you still draw to scale. :)

Do you still think your drawing is TOO big?

That's only because you're thinking like a newbie...with all due respect, many of us understand this way of thinking because it's where we started too. You must free yourself of the chains and shackles of that kind of thinking. Nothing is too big or too difficult to work with once you master the use of AutoCAD. You can zoom in and work with very small or tight areas, then zoom back out for the larger view. With a little practice, you'll put this mindset behind you where it belongs and get on with becoming the master of your own universe.

Just what is it that you are trying to see at this point?

Attach a copy of your drawing file to your next post so we can take a look at it. Start by using the Go Advanced button then look for the Paperclip icon at the next screen. Upload your drawing then attach.

doubleclick your mousewheel to do a Zoom > Extents. That usually clears the Zoomed as far as possible-problem. or do a REGEN.

sry m a noob:) but if i zoom out it says zoomed out as far as possible...
Then regen.

Conceptually, the process in CAD is reversed. First you build it in model space, then you plot it in paper space. Sorta like printing photos, cropped if required, of your structure.

Once again, draw in 1:1 in model space. Think of 1:1 as simply another scale. Scale it in paperspace to fit your paper.

Just to be clear. When you use a paper space layout, which is the equivalent of your piece of paper, you will utilize one or more viewports (they act like "windows") to see the object(s) you have created back in model space. It is the viewport that a scale is assigned to. If you have more than one viewport each can have the same scale or a different scale than the others depending on your need for greater or lesser detail. When it comes time to plot you will do so at a scale of 1:1. AutoCAD will automatically take care of plotting the various viewports at the scale assigned to them. You don't have to do a thing.

There are some general rules to using viewports that you should consider to make their use more effective. Some, if not all of them, have been mentioned in previous posts.

Then regen.

Conceptually, the process in CAD is reversed. First you build it in model space, then you plot it in paper space. Sorta like printing photos, cropped if required, of your structure.

Once again, draw in 1:1 in model space. Think of 1:1 as simply another scale. Scale it in paperspace to fit your paper.

SUUURRRVEY SEZ, the #1 answer .........

REGEN it is, then zoom out again! :beer:

Here are some general rules/guidelines about Viewports.

Viewports are assigned a scale not the objects back in model space. Objects in model space should all be drawn at FULL size.

Viewports can be created using the MView command.

Viewports can be resized using their grips.

Viewports can be moved, copied, rotated. aligned and even deleted. If you delete a viewport it does not delete the objects back in model space.

It's a good idea to put viewports on their own layer and set the layer to "no print" in the Layer Properties Manager. This will eliminate the "frame" affect often seen after a plot is made.

Once you have your viewport set up the way you want it is a good idea to have the display locked. This can be done in a couple of different ways.

One way is to do it via the Properties palette. The other way is to highlight the viewport frame then right click and change "Display locked" from

"no" to "yes". Doing this will prevent accidentally changing the viewport scale when moving between paper space and model space.

It is possible to freeze layers in individual viewports via the Layer Properties Manager and the VP Freeze column.

A viewport is made "active" by double-clicking within it.

You can cycle between viewports by pressing Ctrl+R repeatedly until you reach the viewport you want.

Viewports do not necessarily have to be rectangular; they can be odd shaped (polygonal) and they can even be circular.

The number of viewports in a paperspace layout is controlled by the system variable MAXACTVP (maximum active viewports). The default setting is 16. The max value is 64.

Viewports are ideally suited to displaying multiple views of 3D objects.

Viewport scales can be selected from a number of sources including the Viewports toolbar, Properties palette, Quick Properties, or by looking at one's Taskbar after clicking on a viewport frame and choosing from the scale list.

I'm sure there are a couple of things I may have missed. Other forum members are encouraged to add to this list.

Edited by ReMark
revised per Dadgad; added item re: viewport scales

It doesn't matter if it's 1" or 10,000 light years. ....

Actually it does matter (I think beyond 10,000cm or something like that).

Here are some general rules/guidelines about Viewports

I'm sure there are a couple of things I may have missed. Other forum members are encouraged to add to this list.

Each VIEWPORT can be set to a VISUALSTYLE of your choosing, and totally independent of the visualstyle in MODELSPACE which it displays.

ADDITIONALLY the SHADE PLOT characteristics can be different from the regular DISPLAY VISUALSTYLE of the viewport.

I think you may have meant click twice to activate a viewport?

You can select a viewport with a single click.

Other than that, quite a nice little breakdown of most of the niceties and best use of viewports. :beer:

One should never fail to mention that many people, usually the older among us, do not use paper space. I live and die by it, but many of the older staffers here have never used it and are never going to use it. It's a matter of choice. In the end, they crank out A, B, C and D size drawings which are the same as those created by us who use paper space. It's like so many other things with AutoCAD, there is more than one way of doing things and these folks who learned AutoCAD before viewports became the norm, are just stuck in their ways. Like I said though, once it's printed out on the plotter, you cannot tell the difference between a drawing done entirely in model space and those done using paper space and viewports. It's a personal choice.

Newcomers to AutoCAD should be learning and using the correct procedure. If you've been in this business long enough to have been on a drafting board then use the method that works best for you but not before giving paper space layouts a try first. Then decide.

Actually it does matter (I think beyond 10,000cm or something like that).

You know I've often wondered about that. I just drew a line in a blank drawing that is 256,780,000,000,000 (that would be 256 Ga-Zillion....I think) units long. Not only did AutoCAD 2009 draw it, it dimensioned it as well. I made the text size 9,950,000,000 (that's nine billion units in height) and even then you can't see the text when you Zoom All it shows up when I zoom in on the dimensional text. I thought it was unlimited, or at least the limits are so large, that one never would need to worry about running up against them... in real world practice anyway.

Only GOD would need to dimension anything that long!:shock:

I think GOD uses Inventor. That would make the most sense right?:lol: