WHY APPLICATIONS DESIGNED FOR AUTOCAD 2012 (VB.NET) do not work in AutoCAD 2013.

ZORANCRO

WHY APPLICATIONS DESIGNED FOR AUTOCAD 2012 (VB.NET) do not work in AutoCAD 2013.

WHAT NEEDS TO CHANGE IN METHOD OF PROGRAMMING OR LOADING ?

PROCEDURE:

After running (Netload) and load dll file on the command line and entering executive command in AutoCAD, Command line WRITE (Unknown command).

This procedure works normally in ACAD 2012.

The project needs an additional reference set, some slight modification to the code, and re-compile to account for the new AcCoreMgd refactoring in AutoCAD 2013.

Our new 2013 turned up our 3rd party software supliers frantically made their stuff work done in .NET, but we had to wait just got a version today, thats why I have ported back to V-lisp instead of VBA.

Apart from a extra line for the new AEcc object version all code works 11 12 13 14 ?

This is indeed some new information in a timely manner. I just purchased a copy of AC 2013 (Standard with Design Suite) and installed VB 2010 Express. The new projects I'm about to start are going to be done in .NET.

I'm having trouble finding up to date tutorials on using this mix. Much of the VB code and articles I come across are not compatible with VB 2010 Express. Does anyone know of a good source for this kind of info. I have searched Amazon and other websites, but haven't found anything yet which is up to date.

You just happened to [unknowingly] purchase the first version of AutoCAD that has the Core Console assembly split out from the Acad.exe build. As I understand it, this shouldn't present much of an issue for you specifically, given that you're just delving into .NET in general (there's enough of a learning curve just doing that!), but for those who already have .NET assembly libraries, there are supposed to be new(-er?) Extension Methods that allow for the Classes that have been moved to a new Namespace, to continue to function properly, so long as the new Core Console assembly has been added as a reference to the solution.

In any event, welcome to the world of .NET, Bill!

FWIW -

http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?69646-Where-to-start-with-.Net&p=476715&viewfull=1#post476715

:beer:

Thanks Renderman,

I haven't programmed professional in C++ in a long time and even then I usually only did small utilities for my own use. The task now involves making a user interface....YUK! I hate writing user-friendly software. It seems no matter how user-friendly you make the interface, the users find a way to complain that it's not friendly enough. Years ago I wrote a program in BASICA on an old Compaq portable computer...you remember this was like the first laptop but it was as big as a suitcase. The program did linear optimization for cutting up stock lengths of aluminum extrusions. The meat of the code was only about 1/2 of an "A" size piece of paper....the other 7 pages of code was to make it so the user's knew what to do at the 3rd blinking cursor....

I would prefer to do this project with VB 2010 Express....why? Because I'm a cheap, lazy hack with little to no money in my budget to buy a new copy of Visual Studio. However, the bosses here say they will buy me whatever I need, case in point, they just purchased AC2013 for me. Still, I know they want me to keep the costs down to a minimum and I feel I can do all this using VB instead of C# or F# or B-flat....! We do want to stick with the .NET method as VBA and VB for AutoCAD are on the wane as far as support goes.

Bill, I have a friend that I'd like you to meet... Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF), meet Bill.

Sounds like the two of you are meant to work with one another, you both want creating an intuitive user interface to be simpler, faster, and allow the code behind (the meat of the app) to perform to it's full potential.

In short, WPF uses Extensible Application Markup Language (XAML, a derivative of XML) to separate the interface from the code behind, effectively making applications better looking, and performing at the same time.

ct_vbnet.2010.wpf.apps.jpg

Note - I would not suggest using WPF applications (within AutoCAD) unless compiling to .NET 4 (or higher), as 3.5 requires that System.Xaml be removed as a reference (effectively limiting features, etc.).

ct_vbnet.2010.wpf.system.xaml.png

In addition to Hosting WPF User Control Inside an AutoCAD Tool Palette, I am also a fan of WPF Browser Applications for the simplicity, and ease of maintaining the application across my region's offices... I mainly use the WPF Browser Application as a 'reference utility' for quick access to design criteria, forms, documentation, etc. for users.

Case in point -

ct_vbnet.2010.wpf.too.palette.awesome.png

ct_vbnet.2010.wpf.too.palette.developer.png

Hey, if you ever have an opening (part-time, full-time, etc.), or need some collaborative help on your projects... Let me know.

:beer:

Renderman,

Thanks for your reply and the valuable info. Lot's more to come on this. They are really kicking in the afterburners here. I just logged my 50th billable hour for this week. Time to go home and start my work for another client in Big D. They build outdoor structures (gazebo, pergolas, waterscapes, etc..) so that's just plain old drawings and renderings. This programming gig here is getting more challenging each week...and I for one love it. I will definitely be back in touch with you.