Shapefile/Coordinate System Help

SwChilly

I am using AutoCAD Civil 3D 2011.

I am trying to import a shape file (contours) into a drawing that was given to me by a client. So I went into the Tool-Based Geospatial workspace, went insert>map import>selected my shape file and clicked ok.

It inserted, but its in the wrong spot. I'm assuming this is because of different coordinate systems used when making the shape file vs. my drawing.

Here's my dilemna. I right-clicked my drawing settings and it has no coordinate systems. I'm told that the shapefile was created with the NAD83 Zone 13 coordinate system. I'm wondering if there is a way I can get these to match up without messing up my drawing.

I'm very new at this, and there may be a simple solution. Any suggestions?

I've never used a shape file to import contours, but when this sort of thing happens, the culprit is usually mismatched coordinate systems.

Your destination drawing has a coordinate system of some kind. You can check it in Toolspace Settings. Right-click on the drawing name, select Edit Drawing Settings, and go to the Units and Zone tab. Try changing your coordinate system to Zone 13 if it isn't that already.

Before _MAPIMPORTing that shapefile, you must set up the right CRS in the main drawing, by means of _ADESETCRDSYS command.

smile.gif

Before _MAPIMPORTing that shapefile, you must set up the right CRS in the main drawing, by means of _ADESETCRDSYS command.

Also you need to make sure there is a .prj file in the folder with the shape file for Civil/Map3D to reproject the objects to the current cs.

If there is no projection on the file you import, the data will assume its own coordinate system. The data that you imported is as you suspected; using its own coordinate system.

To get the data to use the coordinate system you want go to the drawing settings and add the projection you need (via the Drawing Settings). Then import the data again and Civil 3D will translate it for you. That is the beauty of Civil 3D (i.e. the Map 3D part which is built into C3D); you can have data from many different coordinate systems, and as long as your file has the coordinate system that you want to use, all the other data will be translated to that coordinate system.

There is an alternative to what you want to do. Check out this site.

The CAD Geek

Edited by ScribbleJ

Also you need to make sure there is a .prj file in the folder with the shape file for Civil/Map3D to reproject the objects to the current cs.

Nope, you don't need it: if you declare the CRS of the entering shapefile, Map will convert all on-the-fly, as long as BEFORE you have set up the main CRS with _ADESETCRDSYS.

:)

Nope, you don't need it: if you declare the CRS of the entering shapefile, Map will convert all on-the-fly, as long as BEFORE you have set up the main CRS with _ADESETCRDSYS.

:)

Agree, as long as you indicate the coordinate system in the mapimport dialog box when you import the shp files and have your CS assigned to the dwg. Both can be assigned in the mapimport dialog BTW.

import_CS.png

as long as you indicate the coordinate system in the mapimport dialog box when you import the shp files

That's what I intended to say with my sentence "if you declare the CRS of the entering shapefile": I apologize for my poor english, gentlemen...

smile.gif

That's what I intended to say with my sentence "if you declare the CRS of the entering shapefile": I apologize for my poor english, gentlemen...

:) I knew what you meant, just posting the image to provide some visual for the OP.

Edited by SLW210

I appreciate, Murph, but tell me something: if the shape contains the .PRJ file, is _MAPCONNECT able to convert it to the CRS of the main drawing?

As you know, I have only Map2006, sadly FDO-less...

smile.gif

Thanks everyone. I actually had it handed off to a more seasonal cad guy in our company. I'm still waiting to see if he got it fixed or not.. I'll try following your advices! Thanks!

I appreciate, Murph, but tell me something: if the shape contains the .PRJ file, is _MAPCONNECT able to convert it to the CRS of the main drawing?

As you know, I have only Map2006, sadly FDO-less...

Since 2010 version it can as long as the .prj is in the same folder and named as the shp/dbf file and it's not a longggggggg path to that folder. Now I have seen times that you have to actually tell Map3D what that CS is and times when it reads it OK. Then again I see the same results with the Mapimport as well.