large conduit sizes

hertz hound

I need to run 5" ridged to the switchgear on a coordination drawing. In the style manager it shows RGS in sizes up to 6", but in properties it won't let me go higher than 4" when I am running the conduit. Back in style manager there is no button to add a size range. I have also used the eyedropper in the content browser for conduit, to make sure that the default mep template has everything in the conduit catalog. So where's the conduit in sizes over 4 inch?

I also think it is strange that PVC only goes up to 2". In the field it is very common to run sizes larger than 2" outside the building. Maybe that stuff just doesn't normally get modeled? On this Job, the site work was 2-D, but the mechanical contractor drew all his stuf in 3-D. I would imagine it was for take-off's later? (chilled water and steam)

I need to run 5" ridged to the switchgear on a coordination drawing. In the style manager it shows RGS in sizes up to 6", but in properties it won't let me go higher than 4" when I am running the conduit. Back in style manager there is no button to add a size range. I have also used the eyedropper in the content browser for conduit, to make sure that the default mep template has everything in the conduit catalog. So where's the conduit in sizes over 4 inch?

This is because when you are running Conduit, MEP will only give you the "highest common denominator", including the fitting sizes. For instance, I went to "ARC - Set Screw" and noticed everything is sized with a range of 1/2" to 6", but the "Transition - Concentric" type part is set to "Conduit Body Transition Type C ARC Set Screw US Imperial" which only goes up to 4". Set this to "None", then return to the drawing space and you'll see that you can now run up to 6" conduit.

I also think it is strange that PVC only goes up to 2". In the field it is very common to run sizes larger than 2" outside the building. Maybe that stuff just doesn't normally get modeled? On this Job, the site work was 2-D, but the mechanical contractor drew all his stuf in 3-D. I would imagine it was for take-off's later? (chilled water and steam)
This is where you can change to the Piping Workspace and using the Pipe tools to run large PVC. If you want to get real technical then create the necessary Layer Key Styles so that the embedded layer information shows that it's meant for the Electrical Discipline, even though it's a Piping Object in AutoCAD MEP.

And for a mechanical contractor to draw everything in 3D is getting more and more common. I worked for the mechanical contracting business for 6 years as a CAD Designer and I used AutoCAD MEP because I got much faster than plain vanilla 2D CAD, not to mention I could coordinate my own designs for the field. It makes so much sense to do that as a contractor so you are "error free". I remember a big chilled water datacenter I designed. It was an aggressive schedule, almost completely unrealistic but because I was very proficient in AutoCAD MEP and I knew the field very well (worked in the field from 18yrs - 21yrs old) I was able to provide cut sheets to the pipe supply company to get pre-cut 16" carbon steel pipe for a double redundancy job. This took LOADS of time off our guys measuring and field cutting with a hand torch, since I designed everything in 3D. 16" diameter pipe all the way down to 3", mostly all pre-fabbed using AutoCAD MEP. Granted a lot of responsibility relied on me and I did goof a few times but the bigger picture is I used real-world 3D environment to take all the time/labor/errors out of the job.

Not trying to toot my own horn, but merely giving an example of how a complete 3D model from a mechanical contractor can have other great benefits from my own experiences.

Thanks again for your help, that did the trick.

I don't post much, but I have been reading posts here for a lot longer than my join date. Your answers to others have really helped me also.

Not trying to toot my own horn, but merely giving an example of how a complete

3D model from a mechanical contractor can have other great benefits from my own

experiences.

I like real world scenarios. There is a coordination meeting this week for the site work. I can see the BIM manager asking all the trades for a 3-D version of the work in the road. There is already a ton of stuff between the two buildings, the cooling towers and the outdoor high voltage switch yard! Another as-built drawing showed up last week adding two more 14" pvc's in the road. This is going to be like digging in a mine field! Luckily the high voltage is concrete encased. Our new stuff will be as well.