Penn Foster Oleson Village

cosme017

Does anyone know how long it takes to complete the project? I am just trying to finish the course, and apply for a job within my company. Any suggestions?

Edited by cosme017

I think the Oleson Village project could be completed within a couple of days if you had the time and dedication. As far as finishing the entire course, which I believe is at least three, if not four projects, it depends on how motivated you are. You might be able to pull it off in two weeks time.

I took a self-paced course at the CAD Institute that was supposed to last eight weeks. I finished in three and that included answering ten questions per chapter as well as doing all the assignments. A couple of people in the same class took the full eight weeks.

I was just looking for help on the project. Does anyone have a finished product, or willing to walk me through it?

I have a number of the finished drawings as do a couple other forum members but my personal policy is I will not just give the drawings away to anyone that asks as that would just not be right. You know what I mean?

There are forum members who are more than willing to assist you throughout the project. All you have to do is start posting your questions. We'll do our best to answer them. Look through some of the past threads dealing with Penn-Foster projects and you'll quickly see the lengths to which we have gone to help (advice plus images). If that isn't good enough well what else can I say.

You live in Norwalk, CT? Would you be available for hire for a day? I just want to get the project done. I don't really have the time because my company has put strict deadlines on completing my course. Also, AUTOcad is not required for the job I am applying for. In the meantime, I will give it a shot, but I have less than two weeks to complete this project. All my other classes are pretty much finished. Thanks.

Actually I work in Norwalk at a small specialty chemical manufacturing company located near I-95 and no more than a 15 minute walk from the Maritime Center.

If you won't be using AutoCAD in the job you are applying for how is it that your company even requires you to take the Penn-Foster course?

I am trying to transfer to an engineering job within my company, and I talked to a few engineers and they said they dont use the autocad system although I wouldnt mind learning. I will tough it out for now, but if i can't meet the deadline I will reach out again.

Tests are done, now i have to complete the project to finish the course. The timing conflicts with my tuition reimbursement. My company is a multi-billion dollar company that just keeps taking from customers and their employees. I am in the very beginning. Table 2. I think i skipped the plot size, and a couple of other things. I hope it works out. I didn't even figure out the scaling. Anyways, i am new to this and i am a truly hands on learner, so if there are no video lessons then i am screwed. Lol

Table 1 is setting up the layers and Table 2 is for setting up the Text Styles. That's as far as you have gone (page 4 out of 21)? Not much progress being made. You have the entire drawing to do which is setting out the street lines, lots, existing and proposed trees, and all the labeling not to mention the title block and border. I'd get a move on if I were you.

There are no videos for the Penn-Foster projects that I am aware of.

Edited by ReMark

So I am trying to figure out the Tree block part, I already messed up the drawing parameters but I hoped to fix that later. Am I suppose to actually draw a tree or is there an object I can select from the menu?

If you have a command line you can try typing the word RIBBON then press ENTER.

Re: drawing property lines using direct distance entry. Start the line command. Pick your first point (probably the endpoint of a previously drawn line) then type in the angle and distance just as you have done. AutoCAD should draw the line correctly. Then draw the next line the same way.

I'm assuming you have properly set your angle input to surveyor's units via the UNITS dialog box. Precision should be set to N0d00'00"E.

Edited by ReMark

When I input the numbers and hit enter, I move my mouse and the whole lines just moves around. The line is not staying exactly where I inputted the property line points according to page 6.

No tabs or panels are loaded. any suggestions on which ones I should load? sorry about this. I'm glad you have the patience for these things, because I have run out of steam. lol

Try changing your workspace from 2D Drafting and Annotation to 3D modeling then back. What happens?

If that does not work you can reset your Profile.

I have MSN Messenger running on my CAD computer but I am on my laptop at the moment. No IM installed.

When I input the numbers and hit enter, I move my mouse and the whole lines just moves around. The line is not staying exactly where I inputted the property line points according to page 6.

The line you just entered should already be on your screen once you have input the distance and angle. Since I suspect you do not have Orthomode enabled (which is a good thing) then of course your next line would move in the direction you pull your mouse until such time as you enter the next angle and distance called for in the instructions.

I've got to go now. It is about 6:50 P.M. and I have a few things to do to prepare for work on Monday. My day starts very early (3:30 A.M.). I'll check this thread in the morning.

As far as I can tell there is nothing prohibiting anyone from sending me a private message. I cannot explain why you were unable to do so.

Command: line

Specify first point: @113.66

Specify next point or [undo]: @542.16

Specify next point or [undo]: @676.62

Specify next point or [Close/Undo]: @457.43

And all i get is a line that is move by my mouse. I entered exactly what was listed above, and the the lines did not form. I know it is something simple, but what? It seems as though I have to pick a point with my mouse, then draw another line by hand. so the numbers inputted mean nothing to the drawing.

I think if I actually knew how to put a benchmark on the model, It would make life easier. Just a guess. I know it seems like I haven't read anything, but I have. Everything seems chinese to me. You can read how to ride a bike for 5 years, but you don't know how to do it until you actually try it. I have put in serious hours just on the first few pages. Have you actually done this project?