Penn Foster Oleson Village

cosme017

I don't understand the problem. We covered, in detail, how to enter both distance and bearing over the phone last night. I got you to the desired starting point of the subdivision boundary and showed you how to check the properties of a line to verify that it was of the length and angle as called for in the instructions. We also covered zooming, panning and the use of OSnaps. I provided you with at least two if not three screen shots pertinent to the portion of the project you were either working on at the moment or would soon be encountering. I don't understand where you are going wrong at this point. Could you please elaborate?

This is what I am willing to do if your schedule allows. When I leave work today (Thursday) I'll come to your house and personally sit by your side as you go through the beginning of the project. I can allot up to 5 hours of my time but there will be a price. Normally I leave work, drive the 75 minutes home and within an hour of my arrival I am eating dinner. My day starts at 3:30 AM so assisting you, then making the drive home (late), is going to be a bit of a push but I am willing to do it. Post back here before 2:30 PM so I can plan accordingly.

That is my best and final offer.

How far did you actually get after we talked last night? Were you able to create the boundary for the subdivision (4 lines)? Were you then able to create the property lines for lots 1,2 and 3? Were you able to at least get to the point in the project where the construction of the cul-de-sac is created?

today is the worst day. I have to meet with a lawyer for an arbitration case in hamden from 11-4pm. Then I am trying to get out of a meeting in wallingford, but I have to see how well the case goes at 11am. I am a union steward at work, so I was told two days ago about the meetings.

Are you kidding. I am still trying to build the reference line. I input the bearings, but the line is not drawing to specs.

You have got to be kidding me. You should have skipped the point-of-beginning line and immediately jumped into creating the subdivision boundary. That little exercise we went through with the two lines got you over to the point at which the real work begins.

I am sorely disheartened.

Not drawing to specs how? Since the user (you) input both the distance and the bearing, and we straightened out the "direction" problem it should have been a no brainer at that point.

My day ends at 2:30 but I could hang around (and work) until 4:00.

Hamden? Isn't that about half-way between New Britain (where I actually live and Norwalk)?

If it went til 3 pm what time would you expect to be back in Norwalk?

The only other option I can think of would be for you to come up to my house in New Britain which would mean back-tracking for you.

sorry I didn't get back to you. I am trying this again. hopefully I can get the boundary lines today. actually still trying to make the benchmark. I just dont have the concept. When people teach me to do something different from the project I cannot comprehend or relate the teachings and the actual project. I called penn foster for help. the teacher gave me the cold shoulder, and now they are not there. The funny thing is that penn foster says to use this website for help. I need a tutorial just to get in the door. I will go back to past posts, but I'm sure that this class is not for me. are the boundary lines surrounding the village or the lines outside the village. I understand the bearings, but I am wondering if I am suppose to go from point to point. the teacher said just type all the bearings and it should draw (without touching the mouse). someone know where there is a tutorial from penn foster to start the lines?

Edited by cosme017

OlesonVillageBM.jpg

Creating the actual benchmark symbol is not called for until page 14.

Briefly: One way to construct the symbol is to draw a circle and cross it with two lines that start/end at the quadrants (these would be "snap" points) of the circle. Then one would use the Hatch command, ANSI31 hatch pattern, at a scale of 1 to fill in two of the quadrants. Use the Add: Pick Points option of the Hatch command to pick first inside the upper right quadrant then second to pick inside the lower left quadrant.

ok great, i didnt realize i didn't need the bench"mark" till later. starting to make a little sense. I draw my first line from 142....to 113.66 yellow reference, but the bearing are not right. I click the mouse, change to the boundary lines, type the next bearings and the bearings are wrong when I LIST the two lines do not relate to the inputted bearings.

OlesonVillageBoundary.jpg

Constructing the boundary.

You start at the Point-of-Beginning (POB) as circled in red. This is located 113.66 feet from your benchmark at a bearing of N5d27'23"W. (the letter 'd' is used to tell AutoCAD you mean degrees).

You are given the first three boundary lines. Start the line command, pick the endpoint of the POB line and go counter-clockwise entering the distance and bearing as called for in your instructions. This can be done consecutively to avoid restarting the line command each time.

The last boundary line you draw in on your own as it merely goes from the end of the third boundary line back to the POB. To check your work (using LIST) this line should have a length of 352.97 and a bearing or angle of N88d46'03"E.

• Like 1

OlesonVillageLots123.PNG

The next task is to construct lots 1, 2 and 3. This is relatively easy since all that is required is the offsetting (Offset command) of boundary line number two a distance of 60.00 to the south. Offset the resultant line 60.00 again and repeat one more time. Then offset boundary line number three 120.00 to the east. Use the Trim command to trim away any unnecessary linework so the result looks like the above image.

so I was thinking and visualizing it the same way you have it, but one of my tabs is on or off. When I put in the first bearing the line shows up, but I am able to move it around the whole screen which in turn changes the bearings and coordinates. its like ortho is on, because I dont get the rubber band effect

There is no reason to be drawing any lines while looking at the coordinate display in the bottom left hand corner of your screen.

If you can move your line in any direction then Orthomode has been disabled. Otherwise your line would be restricted to vertical or horizontal (no angled lines).

OlesonVillageCuldesac1.PNG

After constructing lots 1, 2 and 3 the student creates two additional streetlines. Both are done using the Offset command and a distance of 50.00. Note that I have also offset one streetline half the distance or 25.00 to create a "centerline".

Next comes the cul-de-sac. The student locates its centerpoint by inputting the coordinates as called for in the instructions. The line command can provide a visual reference. After the first endpoint goes in (at the coordinates) you can terminate the line any way you want. Now draw a circle with a radius of 50.00.

You do not have to draw the reference line. You can start the circle command and when prompted for the center point input the coordinates.

Edited by ReMark

OlesonVillageCuldesac2.PNG

Here is a demonstration on how I went about putting some of the finishing touches on the cul-de-sac. I used the Extend command to extend a couple of the lines and the Trim command to trim away linework that is no longer needed. And I used the Fillet command, with a radius of 20.00, to round off the intersection of two of the lines where they meet what remains of the circle that represents our cul-de-sac.

OlesonVillageCuldesac3.PNG

Sorry, but I did not like how that right hand end of the previous image looked. You just couldn't see the results of using the Fillet command very well. Hope this image shows it better.