Inventor laptop - Quad core vs Dual Core

james 172

Hi all

Due to start a new role next month and in the interim, have been asked to specify my own hardware.

I thought this would be great fun but it's giving me some unforseen headaches!

My main dilemma is do I go for a higher Ghz dual core or a slower speed quad core?

I've read that for standard modelling Inventor only uses 1 core which makes the other 3 effectivley redundant, so I am assuming it would be more benificial to spec the higher speed dual core???

For the record i'm looking at the Dell Precision M4600 laptop range.

Can anybody advise please?

:)

I do not use Inventor, so for what it's worth....

We recently upgraded our hardware to Dell Precision M6600's which came with (Quad) Core i7 processors which had a slightly slower clock speed than the processors in our former computers, Dell Precision M4500 with (Dual)Core i7 processors. Both platforms ran Windows 7 64-Bit... Much to my surprise, the M6600, despite the slightly slower clock speed, is in deed faster running the same AutoCAD applications.

HTH

The general advice is that Inventor only uses multi-threading for Rendering and simulation. So if you are doing rendering or simulation go for more cores - other wise go for a faster clock speed...

Yeah but clock-speed it not really a true indicator of a CPU's performance. Remember when the Core2 Duos came out with slower clock speeds than the P4s that they replaced? Better performance came from the C2D chips. Same with today's CPUs. A 2nd gen Ivy Bridge i7 will/should be "faster" than a higher clocked 1st gen i7. Just make sure you are comparing similar chips.

Example: Over at cpubenchmark.net a 2.93GHz Core i7 875k scored 6,258 on the CPU test. A newer and slower Core i7 2920XM @ 2.5GHz scored 7,475. It does seem that the 3rd gen i7's do have higher clock speeds than the older ones but just make sure it is a newer generation. Just do your homework ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Just as an update I ended up going for the quad core in a Dell Precision M4600.

Should turn up some time this week, i'll update how I get on with it.

Thanks for all the help.