UNION a 3D Text and a 3D object in CAD2012

User2012

You can't union blocks, but I have no idea what you did to make those letters unexplodeable anonymous blocks.

*edit* non-uniform scaling is why the individual letters could not be exploded.

Thanx fr your reply! The 3D text created is not block. I made it through AppLoad>3DText

I could easily explode it though! (See attachment), but once again exploded text can't get unioned with the box!

3DText.dwg

Yes, the word "3D TEXT UNIONED" is a block. Inside that block, each letter is it's own block. Inside each letter is a solid, and a solid hatch. Each of the letter blocks is scaled non-uniformly, and therefore can not be exploded until the XY and Z scaling is normalized.

Untitled.gif

Edited by nestly

3D Text Lisp

http://cadtips.cadalyst.com/create-text/3d-text

The top tip of this month is 3DText (Tip #2081) from Aaron Werning. This fantastic tool adds depth to a text object so it shows up nicely in a 3D drawing. Instead of creating text objects 3DText generates a series of polylines in blocks that trace the text characters and have a z depth. To use this program, load the LSP file and type 3DTEXT at the AutoCAD Command prompt. Press Enter to start the creation of a new 3D text graphic or select an existing 3DText object for edit. You must use the 3DText command to edit the text in the 3D text graphics. Each text sequence is stored as a block and each character is drawn as a block behind the scenes.

I see your point. But I didn't add them as a block. As I said earlier, I used AppLoad> 3d Text The text created would behave as a block though! If you have some other ideas to create the 3D text in CAD,plz let me know. The goal is to make a unioned feature from

The 3D Text lisp made it into block(s), that's how it works (see above)

You can still use what the lisp created for a Union operation, you just have to exploded it down into Solids again.

The entire procedure is shown below (watch in full screen for best results)

Thanks a lot for the screenshot. I followed your steps and it worked well!

But I don't know why I couldn't make it for another example! The only difference was the height of 3D Text. I most likely missed sth! plz take a look at the screenshot http://www.screencast.com/users/CAD_USER2012/folders/Default/media/bcecff18-da32-4b97-b9ad-f8966d99c2c6

PS- dwg file enclosed.

3DText_Height0.05.dwg

The 2nd explode operation partially failed because all the letter blocks were scaled X=0.2 Y=0.2 Z=0.04. The X,Y, and Z scaling must be equal before exploding a block containing 3D objects. The hatches separated from the block, but each of "letters" remained a block.

NotExploded.JPG