What would you like?

CADTutor

I like the fish. Makes my boss think I'm on a fishing site reading up on stuff. He likes to fish. Can you say Win/Win? I think so. :)

I do remember when I visited this site for the first time a couple of years ago, I thought it is not a serious site about CAD (Due to fish) and it is sort of a decorated and hobby-oriented site. It took a while for me to understand how good is the site and change my illusion from fish to CAD.

Now I really love the site and I respect it's founder and great contributors like Remark, Styke and many others (sorry if can't name here all) and I have learned a lot here. We are looking for its improvement and as the last sentence, now fish doesn't matter a lot and now it has become an indispensable part of it. I just wanted to tell my first impression.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PotGuy

• Lee Roy

• CADTutor

• Strix

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No Facebook / Twitter, please....

The fish should stay, is it a registered trademark or similar? If not, it should be.

A library or repository is a good idea, but could it be expanded into sub groups, say one for blocks, linetypes, hatch patterns, LISP routines, VBA projects, etc, etc.

There seems to be problems at times with file sizes that can be uploaded, would it be possible to have something like an FTP area where large files can reside?

The fish should stay, is it a registered trademark or similar? If not, it should be.

A library or repository is a good idea, but could it be expanded into sub groups, say one for blocks, linetypes, hatch patterns, LISP routines, VBA projects, etc, etc.

There seems to be problems at times with file sizes that can be uploaded, would it be possible to have something like an FTP area where large files can reside?

I second all of Tyke's suggestions. :beer:

Could use be made of AutoCAD WS for large files, with access through the Forum?

organising our company's block library is a pain - how on earth do you organise the internet's block library?! ouch!

great idea though

nice to see an old suggestion being considered in the upgrade... i really would appreciate a little 'solved' button by threads. sometimes so many come up, all the same title, and the popular ones are just long wild goose chases. but will it be that only the OP can decide if it is solved?

also, something else i mentioned a while back (you weren't keen then) is if the OP could be displayed at the top of each page in the thread. just think it helps focus the answers sometimes.

but please be careful what you change... CadTutor ain't broke! but you did this much very well, i'm sure you'll make version 5 better yet. thanks very much.

Could use be made of AutoCAD WS for large files, with access through the Forum?

I like this idea. People using Tapatalk on their phones and tablets could view drawings then.

Did the Wiki idea get shelved?

For various reasons, the FAQ section didn't work out - mostly it was very difficult to manage and coordinate a group project. A wiki could work but I'm hoping that a new Tutorials section may be more fruitful where tutorials are contributed by individual members rather than by a managed group. Clearly, there will need to be some editorial control (I guess!) but people will be free to write from personal experience.

but please be careful what you change... CadTutor ain't broke! but you did this much very well, i'm sure you'll make version 5 better yet. thanks very much.

You're right, it ain't broke but there are lots of utilities that could be useful to a community like this that are difficult to implement in the current forum. More than anything else, we need a forum that is up-to-date and ready for the future - I'm looking 5 years ahead. No one likes change but it often brings benefits.

I would definitely iterate this again as well. Those two sites have ruined a lot in my opinion.

I agree and I think they might have been good ideas on paper but since then they have been taken over by the mindless masses and no longer represent their original ideas. IMHO as always.

Agree wholeheartedly.

Facebook doesn't belong in this environment, and Twitter is a completely pointless waste of time IMO.

I'd like to add my voice against facebook and twitter as well. They turn me away from a lot of other sites. (But then again, being a nerd doesn't require social behavior.)

Just being a small part of a global community on this site provides more than enough of an opportunity to be socially interactive,

without the need of additional ME-centric virtual technology and tools for self aggrandizement. :beer:

• 3 weeks later...

Chrome should be fully supported. The file attachment in Chrome is a pain, the icons to attach don't work in chrome.

Test it out with fonts in Windows set to a larger % than normal, some of us have to use the larger setting for our eyes and certain functions get scrambled or obscured due to the larger fonts.

Chrome should be fully supported. The file attachment in Chrome is a pain

/snip/

Wow, never noticed that but it's true! In Chrome when you want to attach a file you have to do it from a URL but in FF you can upload a file as well as from a URL.

Something new everyday ;)

I would like an icon to insert any file not just jpg, why go through all the steps for other file types when image is right there?

Just don't use Chrome, I am leery of Google's attempts at stealing personal information anyway. :shock:

Have you checked for add-ons for Chrome? Seems the last time I gave Chrome a test, almost everything needed an add-on to function as well as FF or IE. And it WILL NOT clear out your cache files, there are third party add-ons, but even with that my cache and all other files were never completely removed. Google has a vested interest in forcing cookies to stay on your machine. Last I checked many were working on a third party solution.

I’m relatively new to this site but have greatly appreciated it from my first visit. I’ve only recently gotten back in the AutoCAD game and CADTutor has been the biggest help of all. I haven’t posted till now because all of my Qs so far were already asked & answered. I honestly hadn’t thought about changing the site till this thread.

The fish is obviously iconic and the color scheme matches it very well. Both are peaceful and help me concentrate (meditate?) on the information.

I don’t use and don’t need Facebook or Twitter, and wonder if they might invite the wrong kind of input or activity?

I’ve found Google to be such a powerful search tool that I’m not sure another search engine would be able to replace it. Perhaps the best thing would be to have a built-in option that is able to access Google’s power?

Thanks to all who have worked so hard to make this site the already great resource it is. :thumbsup: Keep it up! And, who knows, maybe somewhere along the way I’ll even be able to add something that will help someone else out.

Just don't use Chrome, ....

The question is "What would you like?"

Well I would like Chrome to work the same as IE or FF. Simple as that.

Remember that old joke,

Man: "It hurts when I raise my arm over my head",

Doctor: "Well then don't raise your arm over your head". :)

The question is "What would you like?"

Well I would like Chrome to work the same as IE or FF. Simple as that.

Remember that old joke,

Man: "It hurts when I raise my arm over my head",

Doctor: "Well then don't raise your arm over your head". :)

Like I stated, look for an add-on for Chrome.