What would you like?

CADTutor

I don't know if I'm too late to contribute to this thread, but...

Is this the software you're planning to use?

If so, it's interesting that Geoff seems to have moved to this when SheffieldForum runs on vBulletin

Another anti-FB vote here. FB seems to dilute anything to impatience and a 'me' orientation which is annoying enough to read as a thread start if somebody has deliberately found themselves here without making invitations to more of its fans on purpose

I have reservations about the 'solved' button

For a short time I ran a forum for a rescue website. The support forum for this software ran with 'solved' markers, which was great for that forum. It was specifically questions by users which were answered by the admin team. There are two reasons I don't like the idea here

1. we already see instances of the same expectation here (more me-ism), resulting in a reluctance to contribute

2. there's more than one way to skin a cat in autocad, and the better solutions given to the OP are often the third, fourth or fifth suggestion from as many members. Marking threads as 'solved' will remove a significant amount of the 'discussion' that goes on here, and don't forget our threads stand for not only the OP, but people googling for their own answers to the same problem, though different solutions may work better for them. Sometimes our regular members find a better way to do something they've been doing for years too! We occasionally merge threads on the same topic, or post links to the same question asked previously. This won't be as effective if people stop contributing to 'solved' threads

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PotGuy

• Lee Roy

• CADTutor

• Strix

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, dogforum.co.uk is running IPB and that is what I'm planning to move to. There are plenty of benefits and not only the look and feel of the thing.

Sounds like FB is a no-no here so I won't push it except perhaps allowing members to copy forum posts to their timeline - this would help promote the forum - but am still reviewing this.

I have no strong views on the SOLVED option. I think maybe this could be used only by mods and/or senior members so that there is some consistency.

I'd prefer if it were possible to have an 'unsolved' option for a thread that has been replied to but hasn't had a satisfactory result after say 24hrs - though I suppose that would be technically challenging

perhaps if it was possible for the op to flag their thread as 'unsolved' (with the option only cropping up 24hrs after the thread was started)

again, we can't rely on members removing this flag, so it'd probably be down to other members, the reporting system and the mods

I don't know how SF's classified section actually works, but sellers have the option to flag a 'for sale' item as 'sold'. They rarely do, which can be mildly irritating

Edited by Strix

I hate Autodesk's "Solved" feature in their forums, but every automotive forum that I'm a member of has a "Thanks" feature where anyone can "Thank" anyone else for their contribution.

Some also have a "Groan" feature. Most disable that half of the Post_Thanks_Groan.xml package, though.

Admin, have you looked at vB5 Connect in the Beta's? It's looking more and more like IPB, though the upgrade should be easier than a changeover.

http://www.vbulletin.com/vb5demo/

I like the idea of a 'Solved' icon, but I also agree with the point of Strix where it may only give one method of completing a task when there are perhaps more efficient or more adaptable methods.

Pros: Stops anyone looking for someone to help enter a topic, only to find it's solved/Useful for members or guests browsing through site for an answer for a question

Cons: Could lose extra input to help give others extra information that may give a better answer than what was supplied/Need to sort who can say it's solved/Could lose discussion/'Me-ism'

(Notes compiled from opinion of me and others who have stated their opinion)

The problem I have with a solved button is of who sets it? The moderators won't know if its been solved to the OPs satisfaction so its down to the OP. We do have a few people who post a "thanks guys, that did it" but not many. As what seems the majority of users don't even contribute after the initial post what is the chance that they will come back and push the button? And if only a few posts get "solved" I see no point in having the option.

Now if people could only ask one question until they pushed the button..... :twisted:

The problem I have with a solved button is of who sets it? The moderators won't know if its been solved to the OPs satisfaction so its down to the OP. We do have a few people who post a "thanks guys, that did it" but not many. As what seems the majority of users don't even contribute after the initial post what is the chance that they will come back and push the button? And if only a few posts get "solved" I see no point in having the option.

Now if people could only ask one question until they pushed the button..... :twisted:

... then they'd register another username in six months time instead of finding their last thread, else they'd hijack somebody else's thread instead :roll:

Is there a way that a script could be added where a prompt reminds you as a notification in your account that you need to at least look at your thread as there are 'X' updates, and reminds you if your happy with the thread to add 'Solved' to the thread, with the 'Solved' underlined that hyperlinks to a Thread explaining it?

And an e-mail to their account with the notification, like with the subscription updater?

... then they'd register another username in six months time instead of finding their last thread, else they'd hijack somebody else's thread instead :roll:

and in what way does that differ from what they do now?

and in what way does that differ from what they do now?

It doesn't, so adding code to stop them posting until they confirm the status of an older thread won't stop them ;)

IMHO, adding incentives such as 'Thanks' / 'Solved' buttons would inevitably lead to users continuously one-upping each other in every thread in an effort to have their post marked as the 'solution', or to gain another 'thanks' from the OP.

This certainly wouldn't suit the professional atmosphere we have here at CT.

I don't doubt your judgement Lee, but what do you mean by 'one-upping each other'?

Do you mean that one user will try to say thanks in a more extravegent manner than another, like "Thankyouthankyouthankyou..." and another goes "Thank you! :):):):):):):):):)"?

I don't doubt your judgement Lee, but what do you mean by 'one-upping each other'?

Sorry, by 'one-upping' I meant that I could envisage users continuously & needlessly nit-picking each others answers so as to appear to present a better solution to gain the 'solved' or 'thanks' from the OP.

IMHO, adding incentives such as 'Thanks' / 'Solved' buttons would inevitably lead to users continuously one-upping each other in every thread in an effort to have their post marked as the 'solution', or to gain another 'thanks' from the OP.

This certainly wouldn't suit the professional atmosphere we have here at CT.

Yeeeerrrrssss, I think you're right :glare:

I still think an 'unsolved' flag after a period of time could be of use though - especially if a thread has had some discussion on it. There have been threads where they've had so many replies that it's easy to assume a solution has been reached, but actually reading the thread reveals otherwise - especially when it's a cranky plotter that's involved!

Sorry, by 'one-upping' I meant that I could envisage users continuously & needlessly nit-picking each others answers so as to appear to present a better solution to gain the 'solved' or 'thanks' from the OP.

Thanks for the clarification. :)

Yeeeerrrrssss, I think you're right :glare:

I still think an 'unsolved' flag after a period of time could be of use though - especially if a thread has had some discussion on it. There have been threads where they've had so many replies that it's easy to assume a solution has been reached, but actually reading the thread reveals otherwise - especially when it's a cranky plotter that's involved!

I think that idea still appeals to me as well. Say like a 1 week period? Normally, most issues are solved before then, but if not, then this would provide a beacon for most AUTOCad Users to focus and help with.

I still think an 'unsolved' flag after a period of time could be of use though...

This would be a good alternative to the user having to 'bump' the thread after a period of time; of course, the user would also need to remember to remove the 'unsolved' flag if the thread is subsequently solved...