What would you like?

CADTutor

Im new to this forum, but im currently a member of a different vbulletin forum that has the same search problem. What we do there is use google instead, just search what youre looking followed by the website/forum address and it will find what youre looking for! :cool:

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PotGuy

• Lee Roy

• CADTutor

• Strix

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh and its not up to the forum administrator to improve things like that. Vbulletin is the one thats responsible, so best thing to do is wait for a vbulletin update and see if they've improved the search system.

Oh and its not up to the forum administrator to improve things like that. Vbulletin is the one thats responsible, so best thing to do is wait for a vbulletin update and see if they've improved the search system.

I disagree to an extent. There are numerous modifications and products available for all version of vBulletin to enhance the built-in search functionality or add other search features in addition to.

There are numerous modifications and products available for all version of vBulletin to enhance the built-in search functionality or add other search features in addition to.

The current plan is to move the community over to Invision Power Board and then implement the Sphinx search system. This should give us some major improvements in search functionality.

The current plan is to move the community over to Invision Power Board and then implement the Sphinx search system. This should give us some major improvements in search functionality.

That is very good to hear, because the better the search function works, the easier it will be for people to use it. As the great majority of people who visit the site are not members and have come here hoping to learn something specific, or find a solution to a known problem. If we are more efficient in that way, so are they more able to locate the help they need. Freeing us up to help even more people more quickly, which can only be a win-win situation for all concerned. :beer:

My thoughts exactly - it is long overdue and vBulletin have failed to deliver good search as part of their platform - or to make it easy for admins to implement anything else - hence the move to IPB.

Oh I'm not complaining, lol! Complaining without possible fixes gets no one anywhere. I prefer to think that I offer constructive criticism as I also point to a solution to the issue. I'm here regardless of whether the issue gets fixed or not, though. I was just pointing out to CeKing that there ARE things the Admin (you) can do pro-actively instead of whining to a developer; not saying you are, but people do do it. :roll:

In the meantime for those that don't know, I search Google with my terms as "site:cadtutor.net ", on most any forum and it returns the results that pertain ONLY to that site.

There's also an add-in that requires a little coding in templates, but it uses the Google search function in this same manner on its own PHP page. The downside is that you can't filter your search results in the same way you can with vB's built in search. I have yet to implement it at my forum, but this thread is pushing me to get my act together, lol.

I've not used IPB that I'm aware of. Looking forward to it!

Hey there Patrick,

Sure!

Fare warning, I'm not on there much. Mostly just promoting my forum. Maybe I'll start getting on there more, though.

Well I'll put my vote in for no FaceBook integration what-so-ever!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36056[/ATTACH]

My $0.02...

Great forum...I like checking in an trying to answer questions before some of the 'demi-gods' (Styke, Remark, Jack, SLW, etc...you guys are awesome!)

1. I would like to see a way to sort the new posts by number of responses...I try to help those that have few to no responses first.

2. Is there a way to change the way the post appears if/when the issue has been answered/solved for the OP? It would be nice to know when a problem has been resolved at a glance.

Just a couple of thoughts...If I think of anything else, I will post again.

1. I would like to see a way to sort the new posts by number of responses...I try to help those that have few to no responses first.

Not sure how possible that is in vB without a custom add-on. A quick glance through my AdminCP (vB 4.2.0-2) and I'm not seeing anything right off. Not to say the setting isn't there, I'm just not seeing it at this moment.

IPB, of course, will be different as well.

2. Is there a way to change the way the post appears if/when the issue has been answered/solved for the OP? It would be nice to know when a problem has been resolved at a glance.

The original poster (OP) could always edit their original post noting that the issue has been solved. If permissions are set to allow it (default is no), the OP can also change the title of the thread to include something to effect of "-SOLVED" to the end.

-EDIT-

Just checked, CADTutor does allow the OP to edit the title of the thread.

Good idea but not easy to implement - it's certainly not something that's available out of the box.

A really good idea. It is possible to implement a system of thread title prefixes so that questions can be flagged as "Solved" or whatever. I think we should do this.

I know absolutely nothing about all of this, but it seems strange to me that the thread VIEWS and the RESPONSES counts can't be broken into separate columns of data, enabling sorting by either independently?

Edited by Dadgad

If it were only that easy. (It's not)

PHP mixed with Java mixed with HTML all make up each and every page. Not to mention it's a SQL database being queried.

As stated previously, possible but not easy by any means. There are a lot of templates, css' and php files to be changed/updated. Something like that is best left to a vB developer who has years of doing such modifications under their belt. There may already be one, but Admin already stated they're looking at IPB, which is different altogether.

The fish is definitely staying ;)

What is the meaning of the fish in this site. As a technical forum which deals with drawing and design I was expecting a more technical icon and not a nature one.

If there is no strong reason for keeping fish I would vote for a more technical icon.

I don't use facebook and twitter so I have no comment on them.

Regarding searching options, I am not satisfied with present searching tool and any improvment which could lead me to what I am looking for, would be great.

Tutorials are also a great want. There are too many similar questions which beginners face. If they could be summarized and published as tutorials, it could help beginners and decrease the number of similar questions like difference between paper space and model space, dimension styles, plotting issues and so on.

Galleries also would be nice and also having a downloadable blocks library is a good idea.

BTW who are the manpower behind this upgrade? Is CADTutor alone or some members will help him?

Good lock to CADTutor.