Applying Materials to Single Face

jbctln

Hi guys, this is my first post here.. hope someone could help me...

i have a problem applying materials/ color on a single face of a 3d object. I have read about holding "ctrl" frst.. what's annoying is this message [see attachment below]..

what causes that prompt? How can I get rid of that..? I try to click "overwrite" but it applies the material on whole 3d.. what should I do? thanks!

Capture.PNG

Hi mate,

Im not too familiar with AutoCADs material/rendering capabilities (I use an external program for all my rendering).

Taking a guess, I would say that "Duplicate messgae" your getting has little to do with what you're trying to do, and more with how you're trying to do it.

Try this...

1. Type PROPERTIES at the command line to bring up the properties dialogue box.

2. In the top right corner of the properties dialogue box there should be a button - "Select Objects"... click that.

3. While holding CTRL, pick the faces you wish to modify.

4. Select desired material from pulldown in properties dialogue box.

Note... in order to use CTRL-pick to select individual faces, you might need to disable history for that particular solid; this can be done in the properties dialogue box.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply mate, but sad to say it does not work. Well, I think I must figure out another way to apply materials to faces of an object.

Can I have another tip from you? I do plan to create a model house using autocad. This model I plan should have floor plan (which I can now do). What burdens me is making it 3D and applying materials to it and eventually render scenes. I'm having problem putting materials esp to wall. Let's say I put certain material on the exterior, it applies also to interior.. haha. Would you suggest some tips for me on realistic designs..

And as you told me, you use other programs, what programs are best with regards to making 3d house model with rendering and lightings? I do have 3ds Max here, but i'm not that familiar yet.. Hope you could help me. Thanks a lot ! :D

Ex. - A layer called "Brick" with the material Flemish bond assigned to it. Every wall, pillar, or architectural element that utilized that particular material would be placed on that layer. No need to go around and assign the material to individual objects.

I'm currently working on a 3D roof extension that utilizes steel members. I have 400 steel tension control bolts in the drawing. If I wanted to apply a "steel" material to my bolts you would have me do that individually? Not all the bolts are the same diameter or length.

..... No need to go around and assign the material to individual objects.

I must have missed something in the original problem description (it sounds like you are describing a different problem in your current work).

i have a problem applying materials/ color on a single face of a 3d object

Materials.dwg

I saved this back from 2013 to 2010 - so not sure the "materials" (I prefer texture as the proper term, as there are no material properties associated with the AutoCAD cosmetic texture) will transfer going back.

Ctrl select the face, right click on the "material" and select Assign to selected.

Somehow I think there is also a method of getting a "paint brush", but I have not discovered a reliable way of getting there. Perhaps someone familiar with AutoCAD will come along and explain how it's done.

Edited by JD Mather

To get the paintbrush to apply materials - im pretty sure you just double click the material thumbnail ("Available Materials in Drawing").

This method will work with CTRL+Select.

FACE MATERIALS.dwg

Cheers.

Hello, that CTRL + Select works for me for once. Let's say for example I have a cube which I want to apply 6 different materials on 6 different sides/faces. LEt's say I'll put material1 to face1 using this step (Pick material, Drag to face while holding CTRL) , it works there. Same when applying material2 to face2. But when it comes to the face3, the material apllies to the whole object.. What will I do? Btw, im using autocad 2010. :D

Hello, that CTRL + Select works for me for once. Let's say for example I have a cube which I want to apply 6 different materials on 6 different sides/faces. LEt's say I'll put material1 to face1 using this step (Pick material, Drag to face while holding CTRL) , it works there. Same when applying material2 to face2. But when it comes to the face3, the material apllies to the whole object.. What will I do? Btw, im using autocad 2010. :D

Sometimes when using CTRL-pick to select individual faces, you might need to disable history for that particular solid; this can be done in the properties dialogue box.

Thats what I find in 2010.

Does that help?

I don't recall how 2010 works, but in 2013 I am not using the Ctrl Drag method.

In 2013 I am Cltr selecting the face and then right clicking on the material and selecting Apply to Selected.