Custom Grid

I'm often drawing to brick dimensions or block dimensions, and have my own grid that I drew, with alternating lines for the brick [215mm] and the mortar joint [10mm]. I xref it in when I'm drawing things to a block/brick grid.

I'm wondering if there's a way to set up a background grid to my DWG so I can snap to the grid and save time, but the grid would have to have - I suppose it's more of a 'plaid' grid if that's a clear way to put it, so a line at 0, 10, 225, 235, 450, 460, 675, 685, 900, 910 etc.

I know you can set up the X and Y grids to have different spacings, but this is ungooglable.

Any ideas appreciated, thanks in advance!

"Ungooglable"?

Make your custom grid then xref it into your drawing or bring it in as a block. Wouldn't either of these methods work?

That absolutely works, but it would be much easier to set a grid, then turn on SNAP, then I simply couldn't go wrong. It may be impossible, esp with LT, but I thought it was worth asking.

I usually bring the grid in as a block, and then have to lock the layer then turn off the setting that selects locked layers, so I'm not always highlighting the block when the cursor hovers over it [it's like a blimmin' disco if you don't do that]

:rofl:

Never used 2006... do you have anything that looks like this?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35486[/ATTACH]

That's exactly what I use. Thank goodness LT allows you to do this; I have a lot of Xrefs loaded in a lot of drawings, it can get a bit ... oh, there's no emoticon for a twitchy eye. Maybe this one ;)

pencil.png

Altering the AutoCAD grid space doesn't work because you are also drawing the mortar joints. Is that right?

Yes, that's why I can't just set up a straightforward grid with 225 spacing.

You're right as far as the GRID command goes. nestly's advice (with image) above doesn't work for you?

Yes, that's what I usually do. Ho hum, that's what I'll continue to do then!

What about making a "Grid" from Points or Blocks, and then using and Osmode that only snaps to NODE or INSERT when you're drawing "on the grid"

You could do the same thing with your existing "Grid block" and the INTERSECT OSnap, but that would also snap to intersections between the "Gridlines" in the block, and any other geometry.

Also, I generally agree with using a hatch when possible, rather than drawing bricks and mortar joints as individual objects.