measuring distance and angle

gib65

How to measure the distance between two unconnected points (without have to do the math based on coordinates)? Also, how do I measure the angle between three unconnected points (supposing there were lines connecting them).

I tried using the distance command and all it tells me is "DISTANCE = 0.0000 (read only)". It doesn't even let me pick two points.

Enter DIST at the command prompt. If you will have problems, try _.DIST and the command will start even if it is redefined on your computer of if you use a non english version of AutoCAD.

Go into View/Toolbars and choose the command that says inquiry. It has a distance measuring tool on that, it also lets you measure area and volume. Also put the dimension toolbar on, from there you can measure lengths, angles etc etc. I find this is a much easier way instead of remembering shortcuts to type in the command box and you get a visual reference on screen so you dont have to go searching through the drop down menus. One problem with this though is that you screen can get cluttered so only switch the toolbars on that you will use to save confusion.

One good tip for a beginner is to go into the toolbar menu and put them all on. Take a few minutes to find out what each of them do, by trial and error, and then you can decide which ones you will use and which ones to switch off. Remembr there are many ways to do the same thing in Autocad, you have to find a way/ways that you are most comfortable with, this will make things much easier for yourself and produce a much more cost effective employee!

Enter DIST at the command prompt. If you will have problems, try _.DIST and the command will start even if it is redefined on your computer of if you use a non english version of AutoCAD.

you can just use di :P

• 2 years later...
Go into View/Toolbars and choose the command that says inquiry. It has a distance measuring tool on that, it also lets you measure area and volume. Also put the dimension toolbar on, from there you can measure lengths, angles etc etc. I find this is a much easier way instead of remembering shortcuts to type in the command box and you get a visual reference on screen so you dont have to go searching through the drop down menus. One problem with this though is that you screen can get cluttered so only switch the toolbars on that you will use to save confusion.

One good tip for a beginner is to go into the toolbar menu and put them all on. Take a few minutes to find out what each of them do, by trial and error, and then you can decide which ones you will use and which ones to switch off. Remembr there are many ways to do the same thing in Autocad, you have to find a way/ways that you are most comfortable with, this will make things much easier for yourself and produce a much more cost effective employee!

That is very helpfull for me.

thanks