CAD Floor Plan Drawing

bulls2030

Hi,

I am doing my bachelors in Civil Engineering and am currently working on an internship project. I am drawing a floor plan for a factory and the factory is currently in the process of construction. I have a few questions that have arise.

1) What are the CAD standards for a floor plan? What I mean by this question is that what are the standards for drawing a Garage Door, Doors, Windows, etc etc. How are these represented in CAD?

2) I have taken measurements of the factory and I wanted to know what are the CAD standards of measurements? Some of my measurements include drywall and some dont. So do I do make my drawing to the inside wood or do I make my drawing with the drywall or other types of material included?

If anyone can send me a link or provide me some assistance it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

There are no standards, per se, for a floor plan. They can be drawn at any scale. You can use whatever linetypes and colors that you choose. Objects such as doors and windows can be drawn from scratch or downloaded as blocks from the websites of various manufacturers.

CAD standard for measurements? You are doing a construction drawing right? Any good architectural drafting and design book will show you how to dimension a building whether it is residential, commercial or industrial. I would highly recommend you buy yourself a copy of Architectural Drafting and Design by Jefferis and Madsen. The publisher is Thomson.

• 1 month later...

As a former contractor... there are no 'standards', though there are some graphical representations that are used more than others. Types of doors & windows vary so much as to make standardization difficult. As far as measurements- it doesn't necessarily make a difference as to your method- as long as you are consistent, and someone else can interpret and build from them. I HIGHLY recommend that if you want to be a great engineer/designer as quickly in your career as possible- to get firsthand work experience with a contractor- in the field (hopefully not just grunt work). That experience translates into the office where you'll better know what is needed in the field to facilitate the job.

I agree with ReMarks suggestion to keep a copy of an Architectural Drafting & Design book at your desk. You can Google just about any information you want- but you often have to muddle through a lot of junk unless you know exactly what you are looking for and know how to find it (proper terminology can be hard). A hard copy book is a great tool to have on-hand for the initial learning process.

The best you can do is to grab some plans (full construction sets) and study them. Remember to make sure you detail your design intent. Here are some examples from a refit here...

Floor Plan:

plan-example.jpg

Here you can see that the new walls are called out with a Hexagon with the wall style listed. Doors and windows are called out as well. Any notes about the room can be listed here as well. Let's look at the wall partition details.

Wall Partition Types:

part-types.jpg

This calls out all types and sizes used in this project.

Door Schedule:

door-sched.jpg

I highlighted the doors used in the area. We are using style 02 for this room. So let's look at the details.

Door Details:

door-elev.JPG

Here we can see the size and style of door used with any notes needed.

Windows:

win-elev.JPG

Here we see existing windows but notes needed about the job and scope of work.

There is more but this will get you started. The others have good advice as well.