free CAD software

anotherseason

BabaCAD is free, easy to use CAD software made from scratch and no engine dependent like many intellicad based free CAD applications. Uses opengl for fast running vector graphics. Download and install in seconds. Startup time less than second. Author idea is to collect user suggestions and wishes and make professional but free CAD software available for everyone. Download it at http://www.babacad.com 100% free, registration not required. From author who made first professional 3D simulation software for mitsubishi PA-10 seven DOF robot arm, published on 8th Mechatronics Forum International Conference in Enschede, Netherlands 2002.

You want us to use BabaCAD yet you don't appear to be using it yourself judging by your profile which says you are using AutoCAD 2004. Is that a legal copy?

I can't force anyone to use anything. Long time ago, I was using legal copy of AutoCAD as base of Map 2004 at work, so when I was asked to register in this forum (and I didn't have any option to choose anything else than autocad) I choose AutoCAD 2004. BabaCAD is awarded by BrotherSoft's "Editor's Pick Award" this month (June 2012), immediately when it was submitted to brothersoft. So it is better to ask them about software or you can read about Editor's Pick award here http://author.brothersoft.com/pickaward.html .

Are you the official or unofficial spokesperson for BabaCAD?

What company created this program and where are they physically located?

What do you know about the program itself? Strengths? Weaknesses? How does it compare to full AutoCAD or AutoCAD LT? What has been your experience?

Don't know much about it, still using it about two weeks. For now, I can tell it can not be compared with autocad in any manner, but it is good for beginners and I think I will use it when I'm in run and out of workplacee, cause it's free and fast download and run.

I like your timely and detailed response.

The author is Mirza Coralic and he is a Bosnian. He is also an electrical engineer educated in Sarajevo. Can't say I saw anything in the product description that would make me consider using the program over any other free CAD software such as DraftSight but I'm sure it will appeal to a small group of people none-the-less.

Free - fast download and it runs. The same can be said for other CAD programs such as DraftSight.

What file formats does it support? Does it read and write to the DWG file format? If so, to what version? 2010? What file formats can be imported and exported and have you tried any of them? You have used the program for two weeks and seem to know very little about it.

Sorry, i replied to you, but somehow it got cleared. I see dxf is only supported in babacad. I tried draftsight, it is very similar to autocad, but I uninstalled it cause I got warning that my graphic card is too old, and when i run it mouse was moving too slow, almost unusable. I hope they will fix it.

Then I can see why BabaCAD works for you since you have an older system. Time to upgrade?

So, are you Bosnian as well?

How did you learn about BabaCAD initially?

What type of drawings do you create?

Yes, I'm Bosnian too, I heard about it from friends. I used to work in gis more than cad, but found cad usable to me.

Esri arcInfo mostly and sometimes autodesk map. Babacad is interesting to me, cause I found I can insert georeferenced tif images in it. It will be more usable for me if I could do georeferencing like in autodesk raster design. Most of my work is related to image scan and georeferencing, but sometimes I had to get down to pure cad drafting.

And you are no longer doing GIS related work?

You never mentioned the file format BabaCAD utilizes. It isn't DWG is it? I see it does support DXF but that is only for import right? The output isn't DXF as well is it?

Scan and georeference mostly. To be honest, I didn't do any seroius jobs these days, cause I'm prepearing for summer holidays, so can't tell you much.