Parameter edit problem

MisterJingles

Hi all

I need some help please. I received a new machine this morning but made the error of not exporting and importing my ACAD settings, so I'm spending this morning trying to customize ACAD the way I had it. I don't customize a helluva lot so its not a major issue, but what is bugging me is that I cant edit acad.pgp, I'm told I don't have permission to do so. I was able to do it on my old machine.

I believe I can save a copy to my C: but I'm having no luck working out how to get ACAD to reference that file.

Some help?

Rob

You failed to pay attention to the message regarding importing your old settings. You can still do it after the fact by going to Start > All Programs > AutoDesk > AutoCAD 2012 English (or whatever you are running) > Migrate Custom Settings. Under Migrate Custom Settings are the options to Import and Export.

I can't recall receiving a message regarding importing my custom settings.

I never exported them in the first place so therefore have nothing to import.

It is part of the process of installing and using AutoCAD for the first time. The user is given the option to import any previous custom settings or to do so at a later date. You actually have to make some kind of choice before you can move on to the next screen. Maybe your mind was preoccupied with other thoughts. Users also have the option to start their older software (if it is still on the computer) and export their custom settings.

That's the problem, I had to get the IT chap to do the installation himself over the weekend, he would not have known how to do it correctly. Lesson learnt on my side.

So hence my issue now with the pgp file.

What method are you using to try and edit the acad.pgp file? Are you attempting to do it from outside or inside AutoCAD? If you are attempting this from inside AutoCAD what are you clicking on to try and access your acad.pgp file?

Maybe it is a matter of "permissions" that weren't granted you by IT. You should be running AutoCAD as an Admin.

Yes, that is precisely what I should be doing. Well according to the error I'm getting. How do I assign myself as Admin?

I am attempting it from inside ACAD - TOOLS - CUSTOMIZE - EDIT PROGRAM PARAMETERS (ACAD.pgp)

Do you have Admin privileges to your own computer?

What happens if you try going through Express Tools > Command Aliases?

Your IT guy also failed to load Express Tools? Gads! Now you know why I don't let IT have anything to do with loading AutoCAD on my computer.

You should have been there when AutoCAD was being installed. Do you even have access to the installation disks?

Yeah I got them, and yes as I said lesson learnt. Ill see if I can install them using the disks.

So is there no way to assign myself as admin so I can modify the pgp file?

At the Windows XP Welcome Screen, press the Ctrl-Alt-Del key combination together twice, and you will be shown a Log On to Windows menu which you can specify User Name and Password. In the User Name text box, key in “Administrator” (without quotes) and leave the Password field blank. Then press Enter or click on OK. If there is no password protection on the the Administrator account, or a blank password is set, then you should be able to access Windows (and all your programs) with full administrative privileges.

Now, go ahead and test whether or not you can edit and save the acad.pgp file.

If this works don't tell IT where you got the information. I don't want to get involved.

That's good to hear.:) Now if you tell your IT guy I told you how to circumvent the system first I'll deny it and second I'll never answer one of your questions again.:twisted: Are we clear?

I would at least bring it to their attention that they should have consulted the user and done the install while he was present. However, I would go one step further and politely demand control over my system as far as any CAD software was concerned. That includes the ability to do installs, upgrades, apply hot fixes or updates/service packs. I'm fortunate enough to have that ability at my workplace but I do understand that at some companies that would be looked upon as giving over too much control to the user and therefore it would be "verboten" by IT.

Point taken. Thing is I am new here, only been around 6 weeks, so don't feel its quite my place to go around making demands ... yet :)

Thanks for the input, I do agree with all the points made and I get the feeling I pretty much do have a say on things CAD related to my station, this mornings situation was really down to my lack of planning at the end of last week. IT here is pretty much a 1 man band and other than meeting up with him over the weekend when he was doing the installation I had to leave him to it.

It is your system (yes, I know the company owns it) so take ownership of it by being an integral part of any upgrading be it to the hardware or the software. Learn it inside and out and become less dependent on IT in the future.