Unistrut Member Style for download

tzframpton

I was working in a project last night that the general contractor "required" dimensionally accurate Unistrut supports, "to spec". They weren't happy with my 2x2 angle, even though it still served the same purpose in the model. So I got a little fancy and created a Member Style and thought I'd share. I like how it turned out.

Enjoy. Hope y'all like it and can get some use out of it. :)

*EDIT* Just in case, this is an AEC Structural Member Object, so AutoCAD Architecture or AutoCAD MEP will be able to use this style.

Member Style - Unistrut.dwg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tzframpton

• Faouweb

• hoss

• KeithBrown

Thanks for sharing

I am a bit confused, what is the purpose of "Unistrut Slot" style.

Am I missing something? You have a block called "UnistrutSlot"that has been used to make the slots?

Just curious to know if it servers any purpose or not?

Thanks again for sharing

Thank you for sharing :)

There is a free softwar to have Unistrut from TYCO, you can have them in 3D or 2D

http://www.tyco-fsbp.com/cgi-bin/webscripts/nph-about.pl?id=2959

and several catalog ;)

http://www.tyco-fsbp.com/cgi-bin/webscripts/nph-page.pl?id=563

I didn't install their products but is this an AEC Object? The strut I made is an AEC Object with dynamic capabilities so there's a purpose behind this particular design I made.

Thanks for sharing

I am a bit confused, what is the purpose of "Unistrut Slot" style.

Am I missing something? You have a block called "UnistrutSlot"that has been used to make the slots?

Just curious to know if it servers any purpose or not?

Thanks again for sharing

See the attached image. I used this block to have a subtractive operation on the unistrut, which creates the slot holes in the structural member.

No it's not an AEC object and sometimes it's hard to work with we can't modify them in AutoCAD :huh:, but it can be helpfull.

No it's not an AEC object and sometimes it's hard to work with we can't modify them in AutoCAD :huh:, but it can be helpfull.
I see. Yes, catalogs from manufacturers are definitely helpful but with this member style I created, since it's an AEC Object it can be controlled by the Style Manager and Display Manager, giving me a ton of flexibility. Also, the structural member AEC grips and functionality is a great thing since as you stretch the member, it automatically generates the slots, etc. This can be very effective when creating members for a BIM model. :)

See the attached image. I used this block to have a subtractive operation on the unistrut, which creates the slot holes in the structural member.

Thanks for your reply

I followed that, and as you can see I mentioned the block in my post

my question is about "Unistrut Slot" in the style just under "Unistrut 1_5-8 in 12ga

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
I was working in a project last night that the general contractor "required" dimensionally accurate Unistrut supports, "to spec". They weren't happy with my 2x2 angle, even though it still served the same purpose in the model. So I got a little fancy and created a Member Style and thought I'd share. I like how it turned out.

*EDIT* Just in case, this is an AEC Structural Member Object, so AutoCAD Architecture or AutoCAD MEP will be able to use this style.

I really liked your unistrut, i tried to save to 2007 and lost everything, any suggestions?

Hey StykeFace. I took your style and made a couple small modifications to it. I went ahead and added a square nut and threaded rod to each side and anchored them. You can now move the unistrut and the nuts and rod will move also. In addition, you can stretch the upper rod grips as far or as little as you want.

I take structural style assemblies like these and block them up. I then drag them to a tool palette and make a tool out of them. I set the block to explode upon insertion and now I have a MEP Hanger that looks a little better than the MEP Styles. Plus I get stretchable threadable rods.

Enjoy.

** Edit ** The rods could be made a little better. I grabbed the style out of an old drawing and was too lazy to get the correct ones. I would remove the inner portion of the rod to make it solid and then I would put the insertion point in the center of the rod instead of tangent to the outside of the rod.

Member Style - Unistrut.dwg

Awesome, Keith. You actually beat me to these additions. And you and I are very much alike, I block items like this to reside in Tool Palettes for easy insertion as well. You and I would make a great team in an AutoCAD MEP job. 8)

I'm about to remake this in Revit next.

• 6 months later...

I did at one time but left them on the computer from a company I worked out previously. I thought about recreating them a few good times but now that I'm on Revit I just don't see the benefit anymore, lol.

You could reverse engineer what I have there and create your own though. :)

I thanked you guys in another post on the same member style and how to create other profiles. attached you will see the results of you teaching.

Now what I would like to know is how to create a tag for the unistrut member style. I have created a manual one that I got by with, but I would like an automatic one. I already ran into problems with design changes and I missed updating some of the tags.

(1) I would like the tag to display the style that would result in a letter A,B,C.... I could just change the name of the style so I would not need a formula, But I like the name of the style the way it is.

(2) I would like it to display a "U" prefix if the strut is hung open side down (180 rotation)

(3) I would like it to read the length of the strut

(4) I would like it to read the length of the rod. I thought about using the elevation of the strut subtracted from the height of the steel and adding 3" for depth of strut and concrete. This way I would not need to (or have anyone else) figure out how to get a tag from one object to report info on another object. I thought I read there is way to do that? But I would like to use the length of the rod so I can adjust the rod to whole numbers. I would not mind if that used a manual property set.

The attached file shows better what I am trying to do.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated

Strut Style Drawing.dwg

You should find all of the information you are looking for in this series of youtube videos.

I don't believe that you will be able to read the length of the rod without a manual property set definitions. I.E. have a manual property set definition where you set the top of the rod elevation. For a particular drawing you could set the default value to the under slab elevation for that drawing and change it for specific objects if need be. Then you could subtract the height of the hanger from the under slab elevation.

Everything else should be doable and should be located in the video links posted above.