adjust viewport in model space

KoTa04

Hello,

I'm a fairly new Autocad user, and do not work for a professional drafting company.

I was wondering if there was a way to see and adjust paperspace viewports in modelspace. By adjusting viewports in modelspace I would like to be able to adjust the size of my rectangular viewport in modelspace to encompass what I want, while keeping the viewport on paperspace the same size (to encompass the entire print page). I would like my modelspace viewport to simply adjust the zoom in and zoom out of my paperspace viewport.

Otherwise if there are other suggestions, I'm open to them. I'm just trying to figure out a better method than individually zooming in and zooming out and re-adjusting my paperspace viewport.

Thanks

Hi Mark, my framing drawings constantly change on every new job. I get field dimensions for framing and it's my job to recreate the framing and design/size metal panels to go around it. each job needs slight readjustment for my paperspace. I try working off as much of a template as I can make to save more time for each job. It's a work in progress type thing.

Well you can't see the viewport you created back in your layout while in model space but I suppose there might be a way to kludge it. I'd have to test it first though.

Even if I could just see the viewport in modelspace, I could just move my framing into the viewport. The framing is fairly consistent in size from job to job. If I am forced to resize my viewport viewing window I could settle with that as a temporary solution.

Is there an "Align Space" command in LT?

The Align Space tool lets you align a Model Space object to a Paper Space object.

If the Align Space command is not available in LT the following is my awkward attempt to solve your problem.

I'm not 100% sure I've accomplished what you want but here it is.

In model space draw a box around the geometry (framing) you want to appear in your paper space viewport.

Create a copy of this same box but change its color. Make sure the copy sits right on top of the original.

In your paper space layout create a single viewport. Click inside of this viewport and zoom into the area where the overlapping boxes are located.

Issue the CHSPACE command. Pick the copy of the box you created. It will now be transferred to your layout.

Delete the viewport you created. The box you brought over from model space should still be visible.

Go to the View tab on your Ribbon. On the Viewports panel click on the down pointing arrow under the icon labeled Rectangular. Click on the "From Object" option. Select the box brought over from model space. It will become a viewport. Click inside your new viewport and size the view so it approximates the box in model space.

This happens to me when adding enlargements to a plan. There's one large area for the site and one or more smaller areas at larger scales. My solution is similar to but possibly simpler than ReMark's, depending on your situation.

In paper space, draw a rectangle on a nonplotting layer around the area of interest. In model space, create a viewport. Center the viewport on the area of interest. Set the viewport to the proper scale and lock it. Drag the corners of the viewport outward so you can see the rectangle in paper space. Now pull the corners in and snap them to the rectangle's corners.

If the area has to change, adjust the rectangle and then align the viewport to it as before.

Edit: read post 1 again and realized I didn't address it. As far as I know, there is no way to adjust a viewport while in model space. Would be nice though.

Thanks ReMark, great suggestions.

I was unaware of the CHSPACE command, and your suggestion on using boxes around my framing works well. The only thing I won't be able to do with your solution is adjust the paperspace viewport from modelspace, but this will only need to be rarely done. I can settle for just doing this manually.

This is going to save me more time on projects, my boss will be happy.

Cheers mate!

CyberAngel, thanks for your input. I will also try your method and decide upon which one I like best for future modifications.

While in a layout and in a viewport, zoom extents, then zoom, window, pick a window to frame the area you want to show, lower right and upper left for example. The viewport won't be to a standard scale, from there you could pick scales to find one that works.

Doesn't the OP want something an object/entity in model space that equates with the viewport created back in his layout?

op also wrote

Otherwise if there are other suggestions, I'm open to them. I'm just trying to figure out a better method than individually zooming in and zooming out and re-adjusting my paperspace viewport.

If I understood the OP's intent then it would be a lot quicker with my method, but they have three or more ways to try and see what works best for them.

Unfortunately his problem is LT this question/problem has come up before and pretty sure it was solved it can be done by measuring the rectang and then creating a mview at a scale within known scales to be used. Long time ago 12months at least. This was I think under the heading of automatic layouts for stuff like road plans.