One reference file to control multiple reference layer settings

Sam Pawar

Hi,

I'm working on a large infrastructure project with numerous of drawings. On quite a few layout drawings I need to have the same base set of references, however I need to change the layer settings (colors, lineweight etc.). This cannot be done in the base reference itself as it is used by others. As the layouts I work with includes other references as well, it is time consuming to filter and change layer settings on each base reference.

My concept is to have a master reference file to manage all layer settings and add/remove base references. When the master reference is referenced into the layout, all layer settings on the base references should stay as set in the master reference. In this way I can easily control all base references with one file and make sure all changes will be the same for all the layouts.

Is this possible?? Or is there some way to work this out??

New illustration of concept:

layer_control2.png

Edit: Added new illustration and slightly modified text to hopefully make it more understandable.

Kind Regards,

Sam Pawar

Edited by Sam Pawar

Seems to me it would depend on what you mean by layer settings. If you mean colors, linetypes, etc., that you can change for an xref, this scheme should work.

Yes, I mean colors, linetypes, linewidth etc.

I tried to change these in the controller drawing, but when i referenced the controller drawing into the layout the base references showed with their original colors.

Any suggestions?

VISRETAIN = 1.

I think maybe I'm not explaining the problem correctly. I have no issues modifying the controller drawing, however when I reference the controller drawing into the layout I want the layer settings to stay exactly the same as it is in the controller drawing for the xrefs that the controller contains.

Visretain should be set to "0" in the layout files so that any changes in the contoller drawing will be reflected in those files.

Ok, I tried that and that didn't help.

I'll give you an example that might help explain my problem:

The color on the layers vary on each base references. In the controller drawing I would like to change the color of all layers in the base references into blue. So when i reference the controller drawing into the my layout file, all base references layers that follows my controller drawing should be blue and not the original color in the base reference.

Sam

No, those are other XREF needed in the layouts to make each layout different. The base references is to make the same foundation for all the layouts.

Hmmm... maybe the diagram is more confusing than helping. :? I feel like I'm having trouble explaining this problem...

• 2 weeks later...

Did you or anyone had a chance to look at some solutions? I've updated the first post to hopefully make it more understandable.

:)