PDF Issues

CADnewbie

I am having a huge problem plotting from any version of AutoCAD (2011, 2012, and 2013 all produce the same problem) to Adobe Acrobat Pro X and DWG to PDF. Neither version is giving me crisp, clean images.

"Test_A_DWG to PDF.pdf" is the DWG to PDF that comes with AutoCAD.

"Test_B_Adobe.pdf" is the Adobe Acrobat Pro X software. Both are high-quality settings, 600 dpi (our minimum for quality maps).

In the "Test A" version you can see the banding on the solid transparency hatch and the "hairy" polylines on the thicker polylines. But in this version, the text is clear and crisp.

In the "Test B" version you can see that it isn't clear (this is 600dpi, high-quality print settings), the lines are faded/washed out. But in this verion, there is no "hair" on the polylines.

We are at our wits end with this. We found out that the 2010 version doesn't have any problems at all; it crops up in 2011, 2012, and 2013. We have it narrowed down in our thinking that it isn't an Adobe problem because we use the same driver for CorelDRAWX5 and Microsoft Office documents and have crisp, clear images/graphics and text from either one.

Has anyone else ran into this problem? And is there a fix or do we, reluctantly, need to contact AutoCAD tech support?

Thanks so much!

Test_B_Adobe PDF.pdf

Test_A_DWG to PDF.pdf

Have you actually plotted them?

I zoomed to 600% and "B" still had sharp looking text.

Can you post the actual file?

"A" was the better of the two for me, "B" didn't look good at all.

I don't see any of the problems with "A" that you outline in your post.

SLW210, they plot in an acceptable format, but most of our documents are reviewed online now, rather than in print.

SLW210, f700es, and rkent, "B" is very pixelated at 600%. Let me post a wblock of the file I am having issues with.

A (DWG to PDF) - vector type image, sharp lines and text, which is selectable(!),

B (Adobe) - it's just a poor quality raster image, no selectable text.

If I plot that with the Autodesk dwg to pdf then it looks good and any magnification. I plot it with Bluebeam and it looks bad at any magnification.

Help file

"PDF files are generated in a vector-based format, for maintaining precision"

I have to believe Adobe uses raster based formatting.

Edited by rkent
added words

• 3 weeks later...

to my main situation, it seems like everyone had varying degrees of success or issues than my issues. Basically I was asking if anyone had similar issues (not necessarily with my file). I have a 64-bit operating system and Windows 7. Another user has a 64-bit operating system and Vista, and has similar issues, but not nearly as bad as mine. I am thinking it is the combination of 64-bit Windows 7 and AutoCAD. I have eliminated Adobe Acrobat as the issue because it works well with other programs on my system.

to my main situation, it seems like everyone had varying degrees of success or issues than my issues. Basically I was asking if anyone had similar issues (not necessarily with my file). I have a 64-bit operating system and Windows 7. Another user has a 64-bit operating system and Vista, and has similar issues, but not nearly as bad as mine. I am thinking it is the combination of 64-bit Windows 7 and AutoCAD. I have eliminated Adobe Acrobat as the issue because it works well with other programs on my system.

I use Win 7 Pro 64b, AutoCAD Mechanical 2013. With the AutoCAD dwg to pdf I don't see any problems with my files. With CutePDF or Bluebeam the only problem I see is the loss of focus when zooming in due to the raster format of that type of file.

I have W7 x64 and all I use is the standard DWG To PDF.pc3 for everything.

It always looks top notch for me. Granted, I'm in 2011...