upgrading to AutoCAD 2012

DAVEBRENNAN71

Hi Everyone

I want to upgrade to AutoCAD 2012 but all my work over the past 4 years has been done in 2007, would I have to keep both versions on my computer or could I open my 2007 work in 2012.

Alternatively would say 2010/11 be more compatable with 2007.

Cheers

Dave

You can open drawings created with AutoCAD 2007 in 2012. I have scores of such drawings I open using both 2012 and 2013.

Anyway, you cannot legally purchased AutoCAD 2010 or 2011.

AutoCAD2012 will be able to open and work with your 2007 files without any issues. If you are "upgrading" your existing license, you can legally keep AutoCAD2007 installed for 120 days while you transition to the new version. If you've bought a "new" license, then you can keep both versions installed indefinitely.

BTW, the current version is AutoCAD2013, so if you haven't already purchased AutoCAD2012, you're likely going to be upgrading to AutoCAD2013.

Cheers everyone I am using 2012 at the moment on a course I am on thats why I enquired about that edition, 2007 is what I use in work, I didn't know 2010/11 wasn't still available therefore I assume they Autocad gets upgraded every year, so other than LT I would have to buy 2013?

Yes, you would. If you buy an older version, say off of eBay, there is no guarantee it will work (could be illegal copy) and furthermore AutoDesk is not obligated in any way to provide you with an activation code. You'll be out the money you paid and unable to use the software. Wouldn't that be grand?

An alternate would be to purchase one of the AutoCAD-clones like Bricscad, progeCAD, or IntelliCAD. If you aren't bothered by Chinese knockoffs you could go with ZWcad or GStarCAD.

• 2 years later...

Hello everyone, I cant find out how to start a new thread so Im hoping someone will sort this for me??

My question is, Im trying to put a location plan into a dwg of mine for a planning app, (I usually use a PDF format), Heres what Ive done:

1. Received the map from UKMap Centre in both dwg & dwf format

2. Copied with a basepoint the map from what they've sent me and put it in my dwg in MS.

3. Then gone to my prepared layout tab, with my A3 title block etc

4. Set up 2 equal viewports, one side would be for the 1:1250 location plan and the other VP for the 1:500 site plan.

And heres where I have the problem as scaling through the VP would be ok wouldnt it if the map was at 1:1, so Im baffled at the moment, I have read something about location plans on here but it didnt really help, so any help with this would be much appreciated.

Cheers

A moderator will be along soon and will create a new thread with your question for you.

I'm not sure what is not working for you. Are you saying the map is not 1:1 and you can't figure out how to determine your viewport scale?

Hi RobDraw

Ive sorted a new thread for it now, the map can scale out by changing the units 1.25 for 1:1250 and 0.5 for 1:500 when you plot it directly from MS from their dwg, I just cant seem to get it into my dwg when Ive copied it (using copy with a basepoint) from what they sent me, as I see it I would first need to get it to 1:1 in MS then scale it through the VP???

Its got me baffled mate, it cant be that difficult Im obviously doing something wrong