Polyface Mesh to Solid

joefromjersey

Hey SEANT,

Do you know how I could convert the solids from .dwg to .stl format? I tried exporting to .stl format in AutoCAD but it did not work.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• joefromjersey

• SEANT

• JD Mather

• ReMark

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey SEANT,

Do you know how I could convert the solids from .dwg to .stl format? I tried exporting to .stl format in AutoCAD but it did not work.

What didn't work about it? More information is needed.

Facetres = 10

stlout

done.

Are you sure you have solids (does list command say you have solids)?

What didn't work about it? More information is needed.

Facetres = 10

stlout

done.

Are you sure you have solids (does list command say you have solids)?

I am not sure completely if I have solids but my model is seems to be a solid. I've attached them here.

sin_0.5mm.dwg

sin_1mm.dwg

sin_2mm.dwg

I am having some trouble unioning my array. When I try to union my exploded array, there is only one solid to choose from (the whole array) and I can't select the individual blocks to union together.

... there is only one solid to choose from (the whole array) and I can't select the individual blocks to union together.

Attach this file here.

In 2013 when I explode the array I get a bunch of individual solids that I then unioned.

I verified that my stl worked in another program.

I had a picture for you - but when you didn't respond back I assumed the problem was solved.

Erased my testing.

Only needed one file to confirm the behavior.

Strange - the elements of the array are moved apart from each other too?

I'm not sure if there is a setting in 2012 to get this right or if you need 2013.

Someone else here with 2012 will probably be along to test your original dataset.

Edit

I just tried your original file in FREE Inventor Fusion and it output an stl without any extra work (I didn't check scale).

http://labs.autodesk.com

Hi JD,

I was able to convert my array to .stl using Inventor Fusion but there some problems with the 3D printing I needed the files for. I think I still need to union the arrays I had. Could you please send me the unioned array you were able to create in AutoCAD 2013? I've been trying to union them in 2012 without much success (keeps giving me "only 1 object found" when I click on the individual arrayed unit blocks).

Couldn't find the Combine function. Are you referring to the Boolean Join function?

Yes, in Inventor they call it Combine, but the term Boolean that they use in Fusion is a better term as the Combine in Inventor can be used to Join, Cut or Intersect.

Did you try it and then save the stl file?

I selected one unit block as my target body & the rest of the array as my tool body, selected join and keep tools but when I click OK nothing happens.