Hatching problem

MisterJingles

Hi all

Please would someone take a look at the attached file and tell me how to fix the error I'm getting when I try to hatch inside the object shown.

Elevation seems correct, as far as I can be sure its a closed polyline.

Error - "Boundary not valid"

Hatch.dwg

Thanks for looking

Rob

I just hatched it using the INSIDE POINT & the SELECT OBJECT options without any problem in 2012.

I did find that you have an extra polyline lurking underneath the closed polyline.

That would be your problem, as it clearly would not be a valid entity for a hatch. :)

Is there a SELECTION CYCLING option in 2009?

At the bottom of your screen, left of center?

If you use the INSIDE POINT it should work though, because you wouldn't inadvertently select the wrong polyline.

BOTH HATCH options work in 2012.jpg

Hi Dadgad

Thanks for spotting the extra PLINE. I have deleted it and have the same problem...

Ok nevermind, I went again and traced the shape with a Polyline (again) and it worked this time.

So to be clear, the extra Pline was causing the closed Pline boundary to be invalid. Is my 2D brain correct in thinking that the extra polyline was in essence raising the one side of my object? IE redrawing the object on a single plane solved the problem?

Hi Dadgad

So to be clear, the extra Pline was causing the closed Pline boundary to be invalid. Is my 2D brain correct in thinking that the extra polyline was in essence raising the one side of my object? IE redrawing the object on a single plane solved the problem?

An interesting suggestion, but no not what I meant.

Any polyline is always drawn on the XY plane, and flat (parallel), in relation to the UCS in which it is drawn.

A 3D Polyline is a different animal altogether.

When you tried to select the BOUNDARY, the polyline which was defaulted to, was not the closed 4 sided one (the polygon), but the single straight polyline.

The straight line was not a valid candidate for hatching, whereas the closed polygon was.

I didn't have to do anything but select INSIDE POINT for the hatch, then right click PREVIEW, looked fine, ENTER.

I then copied the polygon over a bit, used the SELECT OBJECT to define the hatch, and right clicked PREVIEW, just fine, ENTER.

On both of them there were no issues whatsoever.

Oh wait a minute, you are using 2011, I misread your software USING info before.

I like having SELECTION CYCLING turned on, because it makes it easy to pick from numerous stacked entities when you are making a selection.

If you had it on, you would have seen that you had 2 polylines there, from which you needed to specify the right one.

If you look at the attached image you will see how it displays when I make a selection which might be ambiguous because there are stacked entities from which to select.

The one shown at the top of the list is the one that will be used, unless you choose another one by picking it.

selection cycling option.JPG

"Interesting"? I appreciate your concern for my feelings :D

I've not used Selection cycling before as on my previous workstation it would cause my cursor movement to become jerky. I will spend some time familiarizing myself with it now that I have a quicker machine.

Thanks for all your help ;)