Newby questions: How to get started?

stef_r

Hello here!

I'm new to AutoCAD (mechanical) but I've seen some intro video's (getting started video's) from AutoCAD and are very exiting to get started!

Since I'm total new with AutoCAD, it's pretty challenging I must say!

Let me give an example...

From the picture attached, I want to make a mechanical drawing.

It's a standard bracket wich I intend to ' copy ' by a local supplier.

But he needs a nice mechanical drawing, with messurements / dimensions etc.

Is there somewhere a tutorial or getting started video on how to approach this?

How do I draw the first lines, do I draw a line / box or can I betetr do it on a different way?

If I start to draw, how do I deside or let AutoCAD know wich view (front / side / etc.) I'm drawing?

And because the bracket is allready bend, how do I meassure the correct dimensions in account for the thickness of the aluminium? Do I measure the inside of the bracket or the outside, or do I need to extract the thickness (2mm) from a certain meassurement?

I have done some electrical CAD drawings with Cadsoft Eagle (for designing electronic designs and Printed Circuit Boards) but this is a whole different story... 16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Hope someone is willing to help me with this one!

Thanks for the time!

Bracket_01.jpg

Edited by stef_r
Adding attachment

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stef_r

• ReMark

• Dadgad

• JD Mather

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Stef and welcome to the forum! And welcome to the AutoCAD :D

There are tutorials on this site that you could start with (Tutorial button at the top left corner). The tutorials on we-r-here.com/cad/tutorials get recommended by users here as well.

If CAD is something you are planning to continue with, there are classes you can take (depends on where in the world you are, where in the world are you?) and there are also books that you can buy. For instance the author Ellen Finkelstein both has a website and books that can help you.

And lastly, you have signed up to the best (*polishes nails on shirt and looks at them*) cad-forum there is. This one that is :)

Ask as much as you need, it's always best to start a new thread for each new question (or question-group) so that the converstions don't get too convoluted. And remember there is always more than onre way to skin the cat so don't be surprised if you get five different solutions for even the easiest task. Especially for the easy tasks...

Like lines. You can find the button for a LINE. Or the button for a POLYLINE. or the button for a RECTANGLE. They all pretty much get you the same thing. I would recommend that you start with some of the basics tutorials and then play around a bit with AutoCAD and see what you can find. And if you get stuck, come back here and ask questions.

Now, I will shut up and go get some coffee :)

Sorry, forgot to attach the image :?

But now the image is there!

Welcome to the team. :)

I am guessing that you did attach it, and a moderator has taken mercy on you as a newbie, and allowed you to attach it.

I think you are supposed to have a minimum number of posts before you can upload a file.

Likely Tiger has helped you out here. :beer:

Edited by Dadgad

Nah, I had nuffink to do with it. I ain't that friendly :twisted:

For the record, you can upload photos here without a minimum of posts, you can't post more than one link though until you have 10 posts.

It looks to be a ninety degree bend. Is that correct?

I would draw it in 3D then use the Base View command to extract the 2D views.

What is the thickness of the material?

It looks to be a ninety degree bend. Is that correct?

I would draw it in 3D then use the Base View command to extract the 2D views.

In the interest of clarity might you want to say MODEL it in 3D? :beer:

3D_LongBracket.jpg

Semantics. Draw it, model it, create it, construct it.

My version of your bracket. Since you provided no dimensions consider this a rough approximation.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35741[/ATTACH]

Semantics. Draw it, model it, create it, construct it.

My version of your bracket. Since you provided no dimensions consider this a rough approximation.

In my world "draw it" means 2D drawing. "Model it" means create 3D CAD model. Create or construct it means go out on the shop floor and, well, create it.

Does your version have a bend? Hard to tell from the picture? In any case, must have a bend to unfold.

Yes, that is what I was referring to, but it looks like the bend radii are incorrect (hard to tell from picture), it looks like the material is thicker at bend. (see end, or particularly at the punched hole) Could be optical illusion. I answer a lot of sheet metal questions where this is a common mistake - thus I must give you a hard time about it.... :P

Since the OP asked about how to draw lines at the start, I don't think the correct radii to get the piece made is the top of his worries...

I fully admit to the fact that what I did, as far as anyone with any real knowledge of sheetmetal fabrication goes, was entirely a hack job and should not be mistaken for the definitive method of modeling the bracket. The model was strictly for demonstration purposes only. No offense to those of you with the knowledge I lack and no offense taken on my part. I would like to learn more about sheetmetal fabrication techniques and the proper way of detailing such but I've got limited time and my current job does not require that particular set of skills. We all good?

I fully admit to the fact that what I did, as far as anyone with any real knowledge of sheetmetal fabrication goes, was entirely a hack job and should not be mistaken for the definitive method of modeling the bracket. The model was strictly for demonstration purposes only. No offense to those of you with the knowledge I lack and no offense taken on my part. I would like to learn more about sheetmetal fabrication techniques and the proper way of detailing such but I've got limited time and my current job does not require that particular set of skills. We all good?

Well as long as you're DRAWING something! :shock: :thumbsup:

Make it a cold one. :beer:

stef_r: A quick bracket created using a profile of the shape and the PRESSPULL command. Holes and slots can be punched through afterwards using the same command.

3D_QuickBracket.jpg

Well it's no rough draft. Perhaps it is the angle. I verified that the profile did indeed exhibit a uniform thickness (.09375). For the posted example the inside radius was .0625 and the outside radius was .15625. And yes, I know, the thickness is probably way too much for sheet metal but once again the purpose of the exercise was to demonstrate a method for modeling a simple bracket using a profile.

If I had know I was being graded today I would have brought a sharper pencil. LoL

I need to come up with a disclaimer. Objects shown are in no way representative of the real world. View at your own risk.:shock::lol:

Edited by ReMark

Well, I'm impressed by the information and answers I get from all of you here! :shock:

I have posted onto some other fora but after a few days still no answers.

So as Tiger mentioned in his first post to me, "you have signed up to the best (*polishes nails on shirt and looks at them*) cad-forum there is" is really true! :P

I see I have a lot to learn, from AutoCAD and of the specific details about handling (sheet)metal since I'm from school more a 'electric' person than a 'mechanical' person.

But if I begin to draw (2D) how do I let AutoCAD know wich view I'm working on, or is this a stupid question?

I mean like if I draw the side of the bracket, I draw a L shape desing.

When I then use the construction lines to draw the front view, I think I have to draw everything myself because autoCAD doesn't draw the view itself right?

BTW, I don't think that modeling in 3D and than convert it to 2D will work for me because my lack of skills.

And since I have a few other brackets to draw later, I sure want to be a small expert in AutoCAD within a year or so... ;)

(Or am I to confident about that??? ha ha ha)

Drawing in 2D using AutoCAD would be like drawing in 2D on a piece of paper. Do you tell the paper which view you are working on? It's a flat, flat, flat world my friend.

You are familiar with orthographic projection are you not? You know, creating top, front and side views of an object? Basic drafting skills.