Dimension questions

MisterJingles

Nah still nothing. Ill have to spend time fiddling.

The thing is that there are times it works and times it doesn't, and I'm not changing anything wittingly.

I will post any updates here.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MisterJingles

• Dadgad

• rkent

• MSasu

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi all

Ok, I have managed to provide 2 drawings whose dimensions are behaving in the 2 different ways mentioned earlier in the thread.

In one drawing the Ext. line of the upper line of dimensions DON'T snap to the lower dimension line, and in the other drawing they DO snap.

Please take a look at both dwg's and see if you can work out what settings are different.

Many thanks

SNAP.dwg

No SNAP.dwg

You are aware that the top right most dimension, unlike all the others is not associative, right?

When using associative dimensions it is a really good idea to turn off your NODE snap.

You don't want what are meant to be associative dimensions, connecting or snapping to the nodes of

other dimensions, obviously you want them snapping to your geometry. :beer:

I don't see much other than the fact that you are using the dimension override style on the one.

Mister Jingles, you are using Mechanical, correct? Mechanical has filters to ignore dims to snap to, so either go to options and look way to the right for a tab or use AMPOWERSNAP (I think that is it) and then you have to check off the snaps you want to work. That is from memory, which is suspect, but it should get you close.

rkent, you're a life saver, thanks. :)

I hate it when I can't help, and this was feeling like one of those as I'm not experiencing the problem on my setup ....... but I don't know the Mechanical desktop. :beer:

But I find myself now wondering why it seems to be intermittent? A lisp or command run amok maybe?

rkent, you're a life saver, thanks. :)

I hate it when I can't help, and this was feeling like one of those as I'm not experiencing the problem on my setup ....... but I don't know the Mechanical desktop. :beer:

But I find myself now wondering why it seems to be intermittent? A lisp or command run amok maybe?

Dadgad, thanks, and you are right it doesn't make sense that is sometimes works and doesn't on another drawing. All I can guess is that the one drawing opens in plain autocad and the other one opens with the mechanical profile.

I'm having no luck. :facepalm:

Dadgad - GRIPMULTIFUNCTIONAL is set to 3 on both drawings.

rkent - I have compared the Options in both drawings and as far as I can tell they are identical.

I have SELECTED ALL in both drawings but still no luck.

If it helps, the drawing in which the SNAP does work was done by the fellow I replaced at the company. IE another PC which has since been replaced by the one I'm using.

If I copy the objects and dimensions from the "NO SNAP" dwg and paste into the "SNAP" dwg the dimensions work like I want them to. So its obviously a setting as you mention rkent. I just cant find it.

I'm very sorry to hear that, was assuming that rkent had hit the nail on the head, as he usually does. :beer:

Have you tried doing a -PURGE on the one that is bugging you? And AUDIT?

Just remember the DIMSPACE command, no hassles, drop dead easy.

Just remember that you pick the one from which you want to reference first, then any that you wish to align with that one, then 0 and they will all be aligned with your reference one.

Or you can space them evenly by what ever distance you want to use other than 0, or with AUTOMATIC.

Another way to go with squeezing a new dimension into a series of them is using the DIMCONTINUE command, it will default to you most recent dimension, or ask for you to select the

dimension from which you want to continue.

Edited by Dadgad

Have you tried doing an -PURGE on the one that is bugging you? And AUDIT?

I have, yes.

I must admit, I thought this was simply a checkbox left unticked or something similarly obvious, I didn't realise we would all be scratching our heads.

Sorry it seems not, because you have the two drawings side by side on the same computer and they are behaving differently.

It seems that any settings which might affect this would be in the system variables or OPTIONS, but you are working on the same computer, so those would be the same.

Looking back to your earlier posts, do you know that you can SUPPRESS the EXTENSION LINES on a dimension too, if you don't want them to show.

Either when you are setting up a DIMSTYLE or in PROPERTIES for a selected dimension or set of dimensions.

I wouldn't run your NEAREST and TANGENT snaps if you don't need them. You are really running a LOT of snaps there, might be exacerbating the problem.

• 7 months later...

I have worked this one out, or rather I should say rkent was right all along.

In the filter options in the AMPOWERSNAP window I unchecked the DIMENSION option and voila!

I have now set up our office templates to have this setting as a default. Sorry rkent, somehow I managed to misunderstand your suggestion.