Dimension questions

MisterJingles

Hi all

I have 2 dimension questions.

1. See image below. How do I tell Autocad to associate the wall marked "Wall A" with the dimension marked "Dimension A" while keeping my extension lines on the exterior wall?

2. Why is it that sometimes a dimension will snap to another dimension IE to obtain the same height, and other times not? I do use DCO when I dimension but there are times where I need to modify and fit a new dimension between 2 existing dimensions and I cant get the height exactly the same because it wont snap to them. Any idea why?

Thanks

Rob

Dim.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MisterJingles

• Dadgad

• rkent

• MSasu

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How do I tell Autocad to associate the wall marked "Wall A" with the dimension marked "Dimension A" while keeping my extension lines on the exterior wall?

You may try to override the Extension Line Offset value in Properties for that dimension - measure to find the appropriate value.

You may try to override the Extension Line Offset value in Properties for that dimension - measure to find the appropriate value.

I considered that, is it really the only way?

The trouble is that then dimensions either side of it won't modify themselves when the wall is moved.

Edited by MisterJingles
Late thought.

Just notified that you were using AutoCAD 2011 - with this version you may also override the setting for fixed length extension lines feature (Ext Line Fixed) and set an appropriate value for it.

As regards your second question, have you ever used the DIMSPACE command?

It enables rapid alignment of numerous dimensions, and gives you the options of aligning them evenly or

offset by entry specified distances, or an automatic function, which I believe defaults to twice the text height of the dimension style.

As regards your second question, have you ever used the DIMSPACE command?

It enables rapid alignment of numerous dimensions, and gives you the options of aligning them evenly or

offset by entry specified distances, or an automatic function, which I believe defaults to twice the text height of the dimension style.

I haven't used DIMSPACE before, just tried to fiddle with it now and I see this is exactly what I needed.

Took me a while to work out that the value I need to input in order to get them to align is "0"

Thanks Dad ;)

I haven't used DIMSPACE before, just tried to fiddle with it now and I see this is exactly what I needed.

Took me a while to work out that the value I need to input in order to get them to align is "0"

Thanks Dad ;)

Happy to be of assistance. :)

It was added in 2010. I use it all the time.

It is particularly helpful when you are trying to quickly sort out Baseline dimension spacing.

It is also very helpful cleaning up geometry drawings.

Do you turn on your NODES snap when you are working with dimensions?

That helps a lot too.

Do you turn on your NODES snap when you are working with dimensions?

That helps a lot too.

I do have NODES snap on yes. I generally have no hassle with my SNAP modes, but for some reason sometimes a DIM will snap to another, and other times they wont. Thanks to you I now don't care :)

I do have NODES snap on yes. I generally have no hassle with my SNAP modes, but for some reason sometimes a DIM will snap to another, and other times they wont. Thanks to you I now don't care :)

Sorry to ask this, but when this happens, your OSNAPS are turned on?

Are you trying to snap to the dimension itself, or to the point which it defines, and from which it extends?

I looked again at your drawing, and I think that you are probably having difficulty snapping to internal dimensions which do not have extension lines connecting them to the geometry in question.

If that is the case, then the reason would be the absence of a discernible snap point, like you would get from say a midpoint snap.

Try turning on your perpendicular snap, and it may take care of that issue.

Sorry to ask this, but when this happens, your OSNAPS are turned on?

Are you trying to snap to the dimension itself, or to the point which it defines, and from which it extends?

I looked again at your drawing, and I think that you are probably having difficulty snapping to internal dimensions which do not have extension lines connecting them to the geometry in question.

If that is the case, then the reason would be the absence of a discernible snap point, like you would get from say a midpoint snap.

Try turning on your perpendicular snap, and it may take care of that issue.

Here is a screenshot of my SNAPS as they are.

What I'm referring to is when I want to "raise" the height of a horizontal dimension to be horizontally in line with another dimension, sometimes I can take that grip and raise it and "snap" to the horizontal line on the other dimension.

I cant believe I cannot think of a better way to phrase what Im trying to show :facepalm:

See second image, Ive tried to show there.

Put it this way, when I drew those 2 red circles AC wouldn't snap to the DIM line for me to place my centre point, why would that be?

Snaps.JPG

Snap 2.jpg

Here is a screenshot of my SNAPS as they are.

What I'm referring to is when I want to "raise" the height of a horizontal dimension to be horizontally in line with another dimension, sometimes I can take that grip and raise it and "snap" to the horizontal line on the other dimension.

I cant believe I cannot think of a better way to phrase what Im trying to show :facepalm:

See second image, Ive tried to show there.

Put it this way, when I drew those 2 red circles AC wouldn't snap to the DIM line for me to place my centre point, why would that be?

You can just drag them to the line using the center grip, but don't run all of your snaps like that.

Just turn on PERPENDICULAR, CENTER, NODES & maybe EXTENSION if you want, and you already have way more than you need.

Just PERPENDICULAR is all you REALLY need, and then you can drag the CENTER GRIP of the circle to the PERPENDICULAR snap point.

Those others won"t get in your way though, if you have them on too.

drag by center grip.JPG

That's the thing, I am not able to do that.

Please see the attached file and try to snap that circle onto the dimension and see if it works.

Snap.dwg

Are we talking about the same perpendicular snap? IE the one shown as ticked in my earlier screenshot?

All squared away then?

It works if you set them like I did, right?

No not at all. I even tried clearing them all and only checking the 4 show as checked. Still nothing.

I don't get it, I am not having any difficulty doing this, and if it isn't being caused by the OSNAP settings or your GRIP settings, I can't imagine what else it might be.

If you do figure it out, please post, as I am curious what else might be causing this problem.

You are just trying to move the existing circles to center on the dimension line?

Very strange works fine here. :huh:

Good luck, I hope you figure it out. :beer:

Glad I showed you the DIMSPACE command anyway as a workaround.

Edited by Dadgad