crashes others computers after emailing dwg

pneal231

My point exactly, and me having to tell my client to recreate their drawing and start from scratch is not going to be fun either. I doubt they are going to want to pay for the time i put into their drawing, if they cant even use it, but what can you do.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pneal231

• ReMark

• nestly

• SLW210

Top Posters In This Topic

.... but what can you do.

Have you considered "downgrading" to AutoCAD 2011 or 2012? Initial releases are notoriously buggy, and 2013 is no exception. I have it installed only because curiosity got the better of me, but there are enough "known bugs" that I will not use 2013 to save any of my working drawings. 2013 is a new file format, but you can't just work with older formats natively, they're actually "upgraded" to the new format when the drawing is opened, then "saved down" when the drawing is saved. The this conversion may or may not be related to your problem, but not converting "up" then converting back "down" again would eliminate one potential cause of corruption.

Well, this is July 2012, only a few months before they have to get AutoCAD 2014 on the shelf. :shock:

My boss told me to put in a support request once, I just told him we could save the money and I would just redo the drawings from scratch. I have never recieved good help from Autodesk Tech Support, I see they haven't improved and I probably saved the company a few $$.

My problem was with some older title blocks in paperspace. They Showed up fine in 2005, but left images in modelspace from the scaled viewports in 2011 & 2012.

See THIS post on my problem. I did narrow it down to the title block somehow causing the problem.

I most definetly considered downgrading to an earlier version, expecially after i read that the file format was different and that i was having issues with this particular client. I'm always using my AutoCAD in the classic version anyways and the updates from 2012 to 2013 would not significantly change the way i draft. I actually asked our main office if they had any old computers/laptops laying around that still had an older version on it, but unfortunatly everything had already been upgraded. As far as the tech support request goes, our company has a subscription so to my knowledge, I dont believe there is a charge for that service.

If you're on Subscription, then you should be able to log on to your Subscription account and download and install LT2010/11/12 or 13 (or all of them)

Right, but our firewall prevents us from downlaoding anything, so i am still waiting on an answer from the main office so they can remote into my computer and do it.

Tell them to step it up... since you can't work for that client until you can work on their drawings with something other than '13. Also, you'll have to make sure your Subscription Account manager has given you access to access the Subscription center.

IMO, AutoCAD2011 with Update2 installed is the most reliable of the recent releases.