Trouble with underdstanding scaling

After browsing the internet i have come to the conclusion that one always draws in 1:1 scale. I have done that so when I draw a line that is 12 units long and dimension it, it is outputted as 12". However, the model space does not have room for all of my drawing. Im working in inches and i want to be able to continue inputting lengths of lines in inches but have it fit in the model space if that makes sense? Im sure theres just some fundamental thing im missing here

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• mgervais

• bbankston

• resullins

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't worry, model space has enough room that one can draw a Boeing 777 Dreamliner, the QE2, and/or the entire solar system as we know it. Basically, model space is limitless.

Have you done a Zoom > Extents?

no i hadnt tried that. Im completely new to auto cad and have only ever used solid works. How does zoom > extents work? Before i would try and zoom out and it would tell me i was zoomed out as far as i could.

And where did you find a copy of AutoCAD 2004?

Have you tried using the scroll wheel on your mouse to zoom in and out?

I work at a sawmill so im updating drawings from the early 70's for the stacker machine that takes the various sizes of lumber, 1x3 all the way to 2x12, and stacks them so the can be rolled out to be packaged up. Currently im drawing the crank shaft system and drives.

Let's have some fun.

Start the line command and when prompted to "Specify the first point" select the left hand end of your 12 inch long line. When prompted to "Specify the next point" type in @10000 Extents. What happens?

Awesome. That actually will help me in the future im assuming that made the line 10000 units long at an angle of 45 degrees. Thanks for showing me that and the zoom extents

Well it was just a demonstration of sorts that's all. The distance could have been 1000000!

Assuming? Never assume. You can do a LIST on the line and get all pertinent information on it or you can select the line and check its Properties.

Familiar with LIST and Properties at all?

Gonna have to charge you extra. LoL

LIST is a command. One can type it into the command line then when prompted select an object, like a line, then press Enter. A text window will pop up. Here is an example of what you might see it it.

LINE Layer: "0"

Space: Model space

Handle = 1b5

from point, X=0'-1 1/4" Y=-0'-3 11/16" Z= 0'-0"

to point, X=1'-3 1/4" Y=-0'-3 11/16" Z= 0'-0"

Length = 1'-2", Angle in XY Plane = 0

Delta X = 1'-2", Delta Y = 0'-0", Delta Z = 0'-0"

Are you using the drop-down menus at the top of your screen to access your commands or are you using Toolbars?

Menu: Click on Tools > Palettes > then Properties. The Properties palette should appear on your screen. If you click on an object, like a line, then consult your Properties palette you'll be given a whole host of information.

wicked that will come in handy. I hope they give you a raise you have helped me out twice todayReMark. Cheers my man/woman

I'm not a man or a woman. I am a Machine! You don't recognize the Terminator?

A raise? Works for me. Let's see...two times zero is what? LoL

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

Im back. Your help has gotten me this far with auto cad but now i have another question. Im busy finishing drawings to add to our engineering file here at work. Ive made a title block and all that fun stuff for some drawings but need to have the scale printed in the drawing. Ive drawn everything to scale ie 1" =1" in model space. So how do i get the scale of the printed drawing? Im pretty sure its something to do with viewports? Or do i actually have to measure that itll be printed on an 8.5" by 11" piece of paper and then get the length of the box around the drawing?

AutoCAD 2004. What kind of scale did you have in mind?

Basically, you will have to enter paper space and create/use a viewport. It is the viewport that a scale is assigned to. But, when it comes time to plot, you do so at a scale of 1:1. AutoCAD will automatically scale the contents of your viewport based on the assigned scale.

Im actually just going to rephrase my question because im extremely confused about this. Basically i have a drawing of a machine that is about 20' long. It is drawn in model space in 1:1 scale as your supposed to do. I now want to have a proper title block which includes the scale of the drawing, so when it is printed out the millwrights and welders know that just for example the scale of the drawing is 1" - 1' or something like that. I don't understand anything about viewports or anything but i want it to fill the whole page on basically any size of paper. Is this even possible, god damn i hate auto cad right now haha

Edited by mgervais

My advice still stands.

The proper way to do this is to utilize a paper space layout. This is where your title block and border will appear as well as any notes. This is where you will also create a viewport. A viewport is a window that allows the user to look back into model space and see the objects that were created there. It is the viewport that a scale (ex. 1"-1'-0") will be applied to and not to the layout itself. As a matter of fact when it comes time to print your drawing you do so from your layout at a scale of 1:1. AutoCAD will automatically scale objects in viewports according to the assigned scale.

The problem for you is twofold. 1) Where do you place your dimensions and any callouts? 2) How do you assign a scale to a viewport? Users of newer versions of AutoCAD will have an easier time of it since improvements have been made over the years.

Now, what size paper will you be plotting to? If your machine is 20 feet long and you want to use a scale of 1"=1' then you will need a sheet size of 18x24 (minimum) or 24x36.