It's driving me nuts

Mr guiff

Can some one please help me:oops:. I am trying to find Advanced Setup Wizard in autocad 2012. how do I find it?????

Thanks in advanced

set STARTUP to 1, when using new pick the wizard choice, far right. Once you have done this once save as a .dwt so you don't have to go through that every time.

Thanks for that never started a new pack before, it was always done for me.....You might be able to help me with another problem or two..... 1st. The Grid display will not set to the size I've told it to, i'm using the Drawing Limts. What am I doing wrong?.....2nd In the daewing area a circle looks like an ellipse, is they away of getting it to look like a circle. My screen is a rectangle and not a square.

Thanks once again.

Thanks for that never started a new pack before, it was always done for me.....You might be able to help me with another problem or two..... 1st. The Grid display will not set to the size I've told it to, i'm using the Drawing Limts. What am I doing wrong?.....2nd In the daewing area a circle looks like an ellipse, is they away of getting it to look like a circle. My screen is a rectangle and not a square.

Thanks once again.

Perhaps using drawing limits is what you are doing wrong.

I have never used them in 4 years, and I think that very few people have any use for them, I believe back in the day they served more purpose.

Do you want to draw in Imperial units (feet and inches) or Metric units?

It is good to know the answer to that before you pick a template to use.

If you want to work in metric units you should choose a template ending with ISO.

For feet and inches make sure the one you use does NOT end in ISO.

We have been down the my circle looks like an ellipse road before, if you do a search on the site you should find a few threads to help you with that.

Have you tried REGEN?

thanks for your reply.... It's metric. I'm setting up me own template's and it was the way I was showed how to do it using Drawing Limts, but it's just not doing it for some reson, if you can help me on this one it would be appreciated......It's not Regen, it's the way it's set up, just can't remember how to do it, I will do a search. Thanks

Do you have an old drawing which might incorporate dimension styles, text styles, layer configurations, etc. which you might want to select to use as a .dwt file?

A template drawing ideally will include all of the repetitive features and attributes which you routinely (assuming there is such a concept in your work) use when drawing.

Such a template provides a base point from which you can just start drawing. It already knows how you like to configure your layers, their names, colors,

linetypes....well I think you probably see where I am going with this.

Put as much useful information as you can into it, so you do not have to constantly reinvent the same wheel.

It can be any drawing that you have checked and vetted, purged and audited, and finally SAVED AS "guiff.dwt", or anything you choose to call it.

You would want to detach any xrefs and delete nonessential blocks that might be in it, that might be of a job specific nature, as you wouldn't

want those in your template, unless perhaps the template was meant to be project specific.

I make up templates all the time, and they all include a wealth of stuff that I need when drawing.

They help you to hit the ground running, and make sure you are running in the right direction. :)

Were you able to choose an existing drawing as the basis for your template, then the grid settings and drawing limits which you favor might already be defined and ready to go.

Once you feel good about the drawing you want to save as your template, and have save it, you may as well set it as your personalized DEFAULT

for QNEW drawing command, that little icon used to start a new drawing up in the left hand corner of your screen.

If you look at the image you will see how to do that, via the OPTIONS, on the FILES tab.

setting your new default template.jpg

if you are having trouble with the grid display my guess would be (the appalingly awful) "adaptive" grid. Right click on the grid icon to get to setting and turn off the adaptive grid. It will then display the grid as you wanted it rather than 5 times the size that you want.

Circles that look like ellipses? Maybe you have to tweak your on screen display settings for your monitor. Adjust either the horizontal or vertical display depending on which way your elliptical circles are oriented.

Thanks ReMark. The problem was in the darwing area only. Just change the screen, problem gone as away:D. Thanks again for your input.