Very new to autocad - couple of basic questions

AndyW

I'm using autocad 2010.

I have a few objects on a layer that refuse to move off it onto another layer.

If I select the objects, the little box that pops up does confirm they're on the desired layer, but a little 'on and off' with the layer on/off function disconfirms this.

The only thing that distinguishes them from other things in the drawing is that they appear to be blocks rather than lines.

I've been trying to do this for a couple of hours now so it's not something totally obvious like a layer being locked etc.

Any help would spare further hair pulling!

My guess is that the objects within the block are assigned a different layer than the block resides on.

If you would like, you can upload the drawing (use the "Go Advanced" button at the lower right of the Quick reply window) and we'll be happy to have a look.

BTW, Welcome to Cadtutor.

Hi, many thanks!

here's the file.

I just tried to delete the layers that the blocks are 'supposedly' part of and it actually deletes the blocks - even though they don't appear to be on that layer when turning various layers on and off.

The layers with the blocks on have the 'blocks' postfix.

You'll also notice the file seems to reference other files which the architect didn't supply. So maybe that's part of the issue.

plan_temp.zip

Oh my.... What a mess... :?

Basically, my initial guess was correct, the objects inside the blocks are assigned individual layers, and some of the objects inside the blocks are other (nested) blocks with even more layer and properties overrides.

The end result of this practice is that turning off the layer the block is on doesn't necessarily turn off the block, and turning on the layer the block is on doesn't necessarily turn on all the objects in the block.

How you want to "fix" the drawing depends on whether you have to return it to the architect. Personally, I'd run the SetByLayer command to remove ALL the properties overrides for everything in the drawing (not just the blocks) , then I'd open each offending block, explode the nested blocks, then change everything inside of the blocks to Layer0 so the blocks are fully compliant with the Layer they reside on.

Here's video that may help understand some of the issues.

Edited by nestly

Wow, that's incredibly helpful. Can't thank you enough.

At first I thought it was a random autocad blocks tutorial and was alarmed by how similar our documents were :P

I forgot to mention, I'm making this into a 3d viz piece for 3ds max, so if things are all grouped into one layer then it's because I want to import plans in large groups, like: ground floor (every basic ground floor detail), first floor, left elevation etc.

As you can see from the file, I've snapped the first floor on top of the ground floor and will probably do the same for the elevations, so they line up perfectly when I bring them into 3ds max. Not sure if you're familiar with turing plans into 3d but does this sound like a reasonable plan? It's my first time doing this.

Thanks again, it helped a lot!