Cross sections

Ubrigens

Currently using Autocad 2011.

Can anyone explain the advantages of using Sectionplane over the earlier Section command?

Alternatively,point me towards a SIMPLE(!) tutorial or book that will explain how to use Sectionplane.

Thanks in anticipation!!!

Some people find SECTIONPLANE easier for extracting 2D views of 3D objects when compared to the use of SOLVIEW/SOLDRAW. It is probably easier to updated the 2D views when changes are made to the 3D model.

AutoCAD 2011 I see. Have you looked at the BASE VIEW command at all?

Currently using Autocad 2011.

Can anyone explain the advantages of using Sectionplane over the earlier Section command?

Alternatively,point me towards a SIMPLE(!) tutorial or book that will explain how to use Sectionplane.

Thanks in anticipation!!!

SECTIONPLANE allows you to do 2D, 3D or live sections. Place the sectionplane and then start the section generate, either through the ribbon or pick the plane and then right click to start, set you settings for hatch, colors, etc. and continue from there.

I didn't use Section command so I can't comment on the differences between the two.

Any book on AutoCAD will show you how to do this. Also explore YouTube as I would expect that it is covered there.

Some people find SECTIONPLANE easier for extracting 2D views of 3D objects when compared to the use of SOLVIEW/SOLDRAW. It is probably easier to updated the 2D views when changes are made to the 3D model.

AutoCAD 2011 I see. Have you looked at the BASE VIEW command at all?

Thanks for comments.

I don't use Solview or Soldraw----the old Section command seems to be much simpler to set up.The section plane object seems to be related to the model origin and certain co-ordinates----I can create but cannot move it to the required position without changing origin or co-ordinates!

Cannot find BASE VIEW????

Creating and placing the section plane object is the problem.I have not found an Autocad book that even touches on the subject!!!

Suggestions would be appreciated.

YouTube is no help,I cannot begin to understand their offerings and I notice Cadtutor does not cover the subject.

Thanks for showing an interest

To learn more about the use of the SECTIONPLANE command find and download the handout for the AutoDesk University 2010 course entitled "Now Flatten This: Producing 2D Output from 3D Models" as taught by David Cohn. It is course number AC322-3P. Reproducing all 14 pages here would be too time consuming.

I am surprised there are no books that cover that. It was first introduced in 2007, so for about $16US you can order the pdf booklet from Ralph Grabowski, WIA2007.

http://www.upfrontezine.com/wia7/default.htm

It is a fairly straight forward command, between the help file and playing with it you should learn most of what is needed to use it.

Searching on the internet with Google with "SECTIONPLANE AUTOCAD" produced videos, pdf files, etc., all covering this topic. I looked at the 2007 paper from Autodesk University and it walks you through its use quite well. Makes me think you didn't try or don't have the patience to look around.

Thank you---found the video and it answers most of my queries.

Last question----where can I find the 14 page hard copy????

Thanks again for your very able assistance.

Did try but patience is in short supply!!!!!

Found the AU video and am now reasonably content.

Thanks again for the help.