How do you go from Inventor.dwg to Autocad.dwg?

Doove

My way to satisfy my client's requirements (fnah, fnah for those who remember Viz).

Clients require 2D autocad 2007 format dwg files using their layer system and CTB files. They also require us to use their autocad title blocks with attributes that are populated by their document management system.

Query: how to use Inventor and comply?

Most of it is very easy and not a problem: merely create a new standard and set your layers to those required by Client with the colours required by their CTB file. Very easy!

You can easily open up an autocad dwg with Inventor, and even enter attribute values from within Inventor! Even easier! (at least with IV2012 anyway).

The problem is once you've populated your A1 drawing sheet with views from your model or from several models.

If you have just one big plan or isometric view it's not such an issue. If you have (as we do) plenty of details and sections of various scales it is more of a pain.

You can of course just email the dwg as it is, but I have just done an A1 sheet combining GA and fab detail for a bit of steel flooring, with plan views of the 5 different flooring panels plus views of hinged panels in closed and open positions etc etc the dwg file is 10MB. The client will reject this!

Best choice I have found to date is:

Export to dwg

remember to select file type as 'Autocad dwg', then click options button at bottom of the same dialog box.

Select autocad file version (we use 2007 at client request)

Deselect "post-process" stuff. You'll probably need to muck around with linework & text in acad before you pack & go / etransmit anything etc.

Next page,

select layout you want to export, ensure 'model geometry only' box is deselected (unless you are going to redo all annotation in Acad - and there is a case for doing that!)

I select best visual fidelity then the most important choice!

Data Scale!

We use "Sheet Scale to Model Space". This basically copies all the linework on your Inventor sheet to autocad model space. SO - if you have a view showing a 1000mm x 500mm panel in plan at 1:20, in acad Mspace the distance inquiry gives 50 x 25 units. If you have another view of the same panel at 1:10, it will measure 100 x 50 units.

This means you cannot just "select all" and scale up by 20 to get model space 1:1 linework.

In fact, you don't want to do this. This is where inventor sheets to autocad layouts lets us down. But its OK. I have yet to find a client who has an issue with it. Then again, I don't tell them and to date their document managers and CAD people seem to be letting it go... so hush, let it be our little secret...

NOTE! Your dimensions will all be correct, the export automatically scales them to the correct scale for you.

Your hatches might be mucked up. You might also experience problems using shaded views.

Solve the hatches by scaling one until it's right then match properties to others.

Don't know about the shaded views; usually it works, sometimes (rare) it doesn't.

You may also need to go in and shift the views around a bit. Never worked that one out either. Usually for us the title block has moved and it's fairly simple to just shift it back a little.

Then go to your layout, page manage an A1 setup, create a vports layer as you usually would, insert a viewport "to fit", set vport scale to 1:1 and lock vport.

I always save these dwgs with the revision letter, and in a folder called "sheets", which could include your PDFs and / or DWFs.

Job done.

Upload to clients doc management. Let it do its thing. Download and save over.

I would appreciate some criticism of this workflow or variations on the theme?

• 2 years later...

thx Mr doove :

can you help me plese i cant export drawing in inventor to autocd with real scal and complet annotate and section and dimension becuse our compny need actule copy from inventor drawing and change or modify by engineehow dont use inventor

i rade ue post but i dont understand from ..... then go to your layout .page manager ......

pleas help me