Record a Macro and Then Read the Action File Contents

Brenda Tanner

In working with SQL, we often record macros and then read the macro file to see how the software like Access needs the syntax to be so we can write similar macros in the future.

I recorded a macro in AutoCAD and then when I opened the action file in notepad, I see it's a very complex structured file. Not a simple text file like I was expecting.

Is there a way to view the steps in a macro file? I'd like to be able to see how the software builds them for the correct syntax.

That's good information. Thank you for posting.

I found what looked like a nice macro to do a SaveAs. What I am trying to do is allow the user to click on the menu item, then the file will be saved in a new location with a slight change to the filename. It looks like it should work, but what actually happens is the filename just gets truncated. Perhaps I missed something with it but here is the macro:

^C^C_filedia;0;_saveas;2004;$m=$(eval,"s:/checker/"$(substr,$(getvar,dwgname),1,$(-,$(strlen,$(getvar,dwgname)),4))"(Pending).dwg");filedia;1; 

I prefer to have menus, and buttons call LISP functions rather than Diesel for the more robust features, functions, and error handling capabilities. :thumbsup: