Revolving a Parabola

thronedflame

Hi I want to use the revolve feature to revolve a parabola, creating a nose cone type object. However it won't let me. I figured a parabola line, with a center line would work, but it says the object is open. So I tried connecting all the lines but it says that a single center line should be used. Can someone help me out? Thanks

Its solidworks. Its the 2010 version. What do you mean as far as posting what I have so far? do you want me to attach the file?

Have you at least gone through the Help>Tutorials.

Your profile is open - you could use the Surface Revolve and then Thicken

or close off as shown and then Trim excess (Solidworks will still see as open profile because of center line is also construction linetype in SWx - but it will offer to close the profile for you and revolve.

Closed.jpg If you want a Thin feature then Shell the part after the Revolve.

So I tried connecting all the lines but it says that a single center line should be used.

You didn't show this image. Did you use only one center line?

Revolve Parabola.PNG

I get rebuild error: sketches used for revolve features use a single, non-self intersecting contour, and either a single center line, or one that is currently selected. Also I dont have the surfaces tab.

Right click on your file name and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder and attach the resulting *.zip file here.

On this particular revolution I could not do a Thin Feature in the revolve.

I had to Revolve and then Shell

or

Surface Revolve and Thickne.

Ok I got the surface to revolve, both ways actually. And I was able to make it a shell. But is there a way to get rid of the bottom surface so that it is open?