Potentially Stupid Scaling Question

I'm pretty new to AutoCAD, I've been self-teaching myself for about a month so that I can do some floor plan drawings for a company I work for.

I've been drawing in 1:1 scale in model space, but when I plot/print to check my work, I print on A4 paper.

My question is, on A4 paper my 1 drawing unit : 1 mm scale plots perfectly. But obviously if I were to compare that scale to real life, it would not be 1:1. How do I figure out the scaling on the viewport to compare to real life?

If I understand your question correctly, you want a real-world analog on your plot, that is, a way to indicate the scale. Most people use a graphic scale that looks something like this:

scale.jpg

Not only does it tell you the scale of the drawing, it lets you verify it with the ruler you're using.

Are you working strictly in model space or do you switch to PS to plot? If yes then you are creating a viewport. The viewport can be made to show all your work by zooming extents, for example, but it won't be to a standard scale. After zooming to show all your model work you need to find a standard scale that would work, pick one from the scale list for metric scales, like 1:50 or what ever. Then when you plot from PS the plot scale is 1:1 because it is 1:1 for the paper, but the viewport is scaled to 1:50 so obviously that will be your scale if you were to put a metric scale on the paper to check a dimension.

When do I specify this scale? Simply when drawing the viewport (because really all it tells me to do is to draw a box), or in model space do I just use SCALELISTEDIT and pick one and try to get it to fit into the paper space layout?

If I just draw a viewport does it just scale it to some unknown scale automatically?

Amber

While in your layout click on the viewport frame then look in the lower right hand corner of your Taskbar. The scale should be displayed there. You can change it to a "normal" scale. After you have selected your scale and have the viewport set up the way you want then lock the viewport display (can be done through the Properties palette) so you won't accidentally change the scale.

When do I specify this scale? Simply when drawing the viewport (because really all it tells me to do is to draw a box), or in model space do I just use SCALELISTEDIT and pick one and try to get it to fit into the paper space layout?

If I just draw a viewport does it just scale it to some unknown scale automatically?

Amber

In PS create the viewport with mview. The resulting viewport will be to an arbitrary scale to show everything in model space.

Make the viewport current and zoom window around the area you would like showing in the viewport.

Now pick a scale from the list (or type it in, whatever) and see if that works, if too large or small an area is shown pick another scale accordingly. The area you want will stay centered in the viewport while you do this.

In PS create the viewport with mview. The resulting viewport will be to an arbitrary scale to show everything in model space.

Make the viewport current and zoom window around the area you would like showing in the viewport.

Now pick a scale from the list (or type it in, whatever) and see if that works, if too large or small an area is shown pick another scale accordingly. The area you want will stay centered in the viewport while you do this.

Then lock the viewport once you have set the scale.

Viewport_Toolbar.PNG

The Viewports toolbar displays the scale and allows the user to choose a different one via the down-pointing arrow.