Jagged, or "stepped" appearance of diaginal lines

IanN

Hi, I'm very new, but enjoying finding my way in Autocad LT 2004. I'm using a couple of aftermarket books ("For Dummies" and "Skills For Success - No Experience Required") and cross referencing those v tutorials and other posts on here when I get stuck. Working through the basic set up, drawing and precision strategies - haven't got to layers, dims etc yet

I've noticed that any diagonal line (i.e, one that's not at 0, 90, 180 or 270 degrees) has a jagged or "stepped" appearance. I've highlighted the worst looking ones in red on the attachment

I'm guessing I've done something dumb somewhere but, despite backtracking, I haven't been able to sort it. How can I correct this?

sweetheap 2.dwg

Any diagonal line shown on a computer screen will be 'pixelated'. How bad this looks will depend on how good your monitor is. The printed lines shouldn't be affected...

Many thanks for those answers - much appreciated. That's a relief. :)

I'll have a play with my monitor settings to see if I can improve things, as the effect is quite strong and is really disconcerting

Folks I may be barking up the wrong tree here!

One of the first things I discovered in using AutoCad was that the circles were actually polygons (flat sided) and that this could be overcome by prompting regen. View > Regen, and later discovered that the resolution could be adjusting by typing "viewres"in the command line and increasing the value displayed?

Would be interested in receiving comments, as I have over the years never had this problem with AutoCad even when using standard office monitors.

It is usual to set viewres to 1000 or greater (I use 2000, have not found any point in going higher). This is fairly common knowledge for anyone who has had professional AutoCAD training.

Just one of a set of variables I set in my template.

Set it and forget it.