Calculating area with AC 2010

Bara

Hi,

When iam trying to calculate area, i got kinda of wrong answer and iam confused about that. At very first i thought it calculates area with inches (iam in metric sys), but then i checked options and its answer should be in mm, but iam getting wrong answer. In my object (which is rectangular) theres many other things, like hatch, buildings and so on. Maybe this can obstract for direct answer, because when i draw just a simple squre or rect. iam getting normal answer. Thanks in advance

Welcome to Cad Tutor. :)

Your area is probably being returned in square millimeters.

How are you calculating the area?

Are you using MEA (measure geometry) perhaps?

If the object which you are checking is CLOSED, then the area of that object, when selected

will be displayed in QUICK PROPERTIES, as shown in the image.

I have circled the QUICK PROPERTIES icon in red, you can turn them on or off here.

area displayed in quick properties.JPG

Iam using AREA command and getting wrong answer :( And if i draw simple rectangular or square, the answer is good, so i dont get it.

This is what happens when I use the AREA command at the commandline.

You need to then hit ENTER, if you want to select an OBJECT.

Then select the OBJECT, and if it is CLOSED, then you should see a result like this.

Can you post your drawing here, or a screen shot similar to mine to show what is

happening to you?

AREA command hit enter.JPG

I could not see the dimensions on your link, it would be better if you can do it, to upload the .dwg file, then it would be easy to sort out.

My first guess is that the units in your drawing may well be metric, but not what you think they are. Meaning they might be meters or decimeters or some other unit.

Is the drawing on an Imperial or Metric template?

I am heading to the beach in a few minutes, happy to help you now if you can upload the drawing, or even just upload a copy of the drawing, and

delete everything except the big red rectangle so I can check it out for you.

And also there is a gap at each corner. You do not have a closed polyline to give you the area.

I got an area of 9000.1357 with a perimeter of 419.1438, which I got by listing the closed polyline that I drew at the correct dimensions. The area is in sq units of the drawing units.

Hi, just back from the beach, as SEANT & eldon were kind enough to point out, a couple of obvious issues. :beer:

Issue number one would be that the drawing is not done to 1:1 scale, which is a bad way to start.

In modelspace the drawing should be done FULL SIZE, doesn't matter what you are drawing. Which is why in dimensions

you see units of measure like LIGHT YEARS. Yes even when drawing the SOLAR SYSTEM you would draw it full sized in modelspace.

Yes, that is right, you probably wouldn't print it fullsize, you would scale it to an appropriate size from your paperspace viewport.

Assuming that is not the issue right now. Back to modelspace.

Lastly, if instead of using TEXT to dimension the perimeter in your modelspace, you had just used the current dimstyle,

you would have very quickly recognized that the drawing was not correct.

It seems like you probably have it sorted out by now. You also have some doubled lines in the perimeter.

I would suggest using closed polygons for work like this. All you need to use is the JOIN command with MULTIPLE option to join and then you can CLOSE

your polygon in the properties by selecting CLOSED YES. :)

Had you drawn a CLOSED polygon, your PROPERTIES or QUICK PROPERTIES palette would have given you the area without

using any commands. As eldon mentioned the area would be in the drawing units (in this case meters) squared.

By entering -DWGUNITS at your commandline you could determine what the drawing units in use in the drawing are.

6 represents METERS, which you will see after you open the DRAWING UNITS dialog box with the -DWGUNITS command.

draw anything full size.JPG

Edited by Dadgad