x's that look like (but do not act like) nodes all over drawing

I recently had to re-format the cpu and re-install acad. I'm working with XP Pro and acad 2006 and am now having the "fun" of trying to get acad back to the settings I am used to.

Everytime I work in a drawing, whether it be new or old, all these little x's show up on my screen. It looks like 3 nodes overlapping each other. if I zoom in or out and regen they move. a zoom extents does not include them in the drawing area. pdmode has no effect on them nor does blipmode. I can delete everything in the drawing, do a regenall and they are still there. the below link is a screen shot...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xhxc23mhu2n3sps/acad2gif.gif

They are really anoying to look at and its been so long since I have had to configure acad I can not figure out what is doing this and how to stop it.

UPDATE- maybe just a coincidence but it seems they are being created when i copy something, maybe a temporary basepoint marker or something, but then they never disappear.

Are they selectable objects? If you can open the drawing on someone else's machine, do they show up? Does Purge, -Purge (regapps), and Audit do anything?

Can you attach one of the dwg files with this problem? Obviously, I don't have a solution, just getting more info so that maybe we can find one.

Non- selectable, Blip mode is set to off, pdmode is at 0, no items to purge (nested objects selected), audit came back no errors. Opened the drawing on my laptop and there is no sign of them.

One thing i have noticed is that it seems to happen more when copying mtext. Also, I changed the color for the osnaps, the x's there stayed the same color and new x's where created with the new color.

Also, seems very weird that they do not seem to be connected to anything, as i zoom the drawing in and out and regen they move arbitrarily. If i delete the text they stay there.

Thanks for the help!

Welcome to the forum. :)

Try using LAYERWALK to cycle through all of your layers one at a time, and see if you can determine which layer they are on.

Are those Multileaders in the drawing?

Clearly per rickh's request if you are able to post the drawing, or a part of the drawing, stripped of anything proprietary, we could much more quickly figure this out.

Use the GO ADVANCED option in the lower right hand corner of the post, then MANAGE ATTACHMENTS to post a drawing file (.dwg please).

You might want to confirm the spellings of DISAPPEARANCE and PRECIPITATE. :|

I opened it on Autocad 2012, with no problems whatsoever.

Looks fine, even the spelling! :beer:

The image shown is of the file after opening, and before doing anything to it.

I ran the " -PURGE" command at the commandline, audited and saved this, and attached it at the end of the post, should you want it.

Come to think of it, your boxes could be tweaked a bit,

Perhaps this lisp from Lee Mac's site would be helpful,

http://www.lee-mac.com/boxtext.html

as is everything on his site.

Thanks Lee! :beer:

no problems on 2012.jpg

expt.7 after big purge.dwg

Edited by Dadgad

Dadgad- Thanks, but its still doing it on my end, just on the desktop (which is the one with the new install) and not on my laptop. I think im just going to uninstall and try it again.

What do you mean by boxes could use some tweaking?

Thanks again.

As you can see in the image attached, the content goes over the box at the bottom of some boxes, as the centered mtext exceeds the capacity of the containing box.

With Lee's box routine the box will be sized to perfectly accomodate the contents.

Have you already tried the REPAIR option?

Try that before you REINSTALL. :)

same here, no problems. Hopefully the repair or reinstall will fix it.

I think the text overlap may just be because the text style uses a customized .shx....so for me it reverts to simplex, thus overlapping.

I didn't even notice that. Guess I'm so sick of chem101 I'm getting sloppy. I just opened another drawing and the aperture is more rectangular then square, wondering if i have a problem with the graphics card or drivers. Would that make sense?

Because the text style in use uses "archquik.shx" you will need to make sure both laptop and desktop are finding this font. This has nothing to do with the original problem, but it will make a difference in the appearance of the text on your screen (notice the first image posted did not have the text overlapping the box).