Create 3 dash line

What would be the easiest way to create a 3-dash line for a drawing?

I have a user with a need for a 3-dash line. Like a phantom line but with 3 dashes.

I know how to edit the pen-up, pen-down settings in a .lin file. But then what would be the best way to handle the new line when it is sent to the client? Would I need to create a custom line file and sent it with the .dwg files or could I edit the acad.lin file? Would the receiver run into problems with missing linetypes?

You can copy and edit an existing linetype definition or create a whole new one using the Express Tools command MAKELTYPE.

The linetype is embedded in the drawing that you send to the client. You don't have to send him a copy of your .lin file.

What would happen in this scenario: Say the receiver gets Drawing 1 that has the 3-dash line in it and Drawing 2 that does not. If he wanted the 3-dash line in Drawing 2, could he copy and paste it from Drawing 1 to "import" it?

You can use Phantom definition as the template, but make sure you use a unique linetype name. To import the new linetype into another drawing, use DesignCenter as mentioned above, or simply drag-n-drop or copy/paste any object using that linetype into the other drawing.