How to turn off layers in viewports

khoshravan

I think this question has answered befoe but I couldn't find. Sorry for duplication.:oops:

I have a one drawing in MS with 5 layers.

I have 2 viewports in one layer tab from that drawing with different scales.

I want to turnoff 2 layers in one of the VP but have them turned on on the other VP.

Is it possible? How?

When you're in PS click in a viewport and then go to your layer manager. There will be 4 different icons to chose from for each layer. Go to the layer you want to select and view the icons next to it. The first is "On/Off", the second is "freeze/thaw" the third (which you want to use) is "freeze/thaw in current viewport", and the fourth is "lock/unlock". Toggle the "freeze/thaw" for the layer you want and watch them dissapear. It's like magic :)

When you're in PS click in a viewport and then go to your layer manager. There will be 4 different icons to chose from for each layer. Go to the layer you want to select and view the icons next to it. The first is "On/Off", the second is "freeze/thaw" the third (which you want to use) is "freeze/thaw in current viewport", and the fourth is "lock/unlock". Toggle the "freeze/thaw" for the layer you want and watch them dissapear. It's like magic :)

Dear Dan

My layer manager is slightly different from yours (I am using ACAD 2007). Please see the attached image to see if we are talking about same icon, in my case it is called "current VP Freeze" and it is in the far right of the window not the forth from left. Is it the same one you are talking about? The icon you named has slightly different name.

2nd) Toggling it, doesn't change anything.

First I have to be sure that this is the icon you are talking about and then solve the coming issues.

Any comment is appreciated.

11.JPG

Yes, that's the correct icon, but remember that in Layouts, PaperSpace and ModelSpace (viewports) are controlled independently, so make sure the viewport you want to control is active before freezing the layer.

Dear Dan

My layer manager is slightly different from yours (I am using ACAD 2007). Please see the attached image to see if we are talking about same icon, in my case it is called "current VP Freeze" and it is in the far right of the window not the forth from left. Is it the same one you are talking about? The icon you named has slightly different name.

The image you have attached is of your LAYER PROPERTIES MANAGER, Dan Johnson was referring to the smaller LAYER MANAGER which is in your LAYERS toolbar, where he would be correct about its being the 4th item. :)

Yes, that's the correct icon, but remember that in Layouts, PaperSpace and ModelSpace (viewports) are controlled independently, so make sure the viewport you want to control is active before freezing the layer.

In order to activate the viewport I just select it by crossing the border line. 4 blue squares appear on 4 corners. Isn't it the correct way to choose the vp and make it active. But even after that, toggling the icon doesn't turn off that layer in the VP. Either I am missing something in between or there is something wrong in my procedure.

The viewport is in Paperspace, so if you can select the viewport, that means PaperSpace is active and the Layer changes are only happening for PaperSpace objects. Doubleclick inside the viewport to make it active, then you should be able to freeze viewport layers.

Edited by nestly

Doubleclick inside the viewport to make it active, then you should be able to freeze viewport layers.

I was missing the bold part above.

Thanks it worked now.