Remove objects from selection set

BWSwede

I have been using autocad for a while and have always been able to use "R" to remove objects from a selection set. All of a sudden now when I want to use that command it activates the "Redraw" command instead of letting me remove objects from my set.

Does anyone know how to get it back to the way I had it before?

TIA,

BWSwede

When objects are selected, holding shift, then selecting the objects to remove from the selection will work.

To 'get it back to the way [you] had it before'...I am not sure I understand. The alias 'R' is associated with the 'redraw' command...you could change that with 'aliasedit' and reassign the 'R' to 'remove from selection' i suppose.

If you have nothing selected and press 'r' you want a redraw, so changing the alias isn't a good idea. IMHO. But with items selected, the shift-select has worked for several years/versions. I haven't been on V2002 in >10 years, so I am not sure anymore.

Does that answer your question?

Bill,

Thanks for your reply. The way my autocad was setup and the way it works best for me, is that after I have selected a set of objects and want to remove some of the items, I simple hit "R", window or pick the items I want to remove, and then hit "enter". If while removing items from the set I have removed too many items, I was able to hit "A" and then window or pick items that I want to add back to the set. For some reason neither of these selection tools work. I am thinking that I must have accidently changed a setting in the program, unfortunately I don't know which one.

Thanks again,

BWSwede

Are you talking about creating the said selection set on command prompter before calling an editing command, or while in such command? Or both cases?

From what I'm concerned Remove and Add are modes of SELECT command and have this meaning only while in this command or in any other editing command that require creation of a selection set. If for you those worked directly on command prompter, then I believe there was a kind of customization active.

I am not sure of your question...

Experimenting what I just found is that I have to manually start the "select" command by hitting the "s" key for the "r" and "a" functions to work after selecting a set. It didn't use to be this way and now causes me to take an extra step if I want the "r" and "a" functions to work.

Normally I can window or pick items without initiating any command and the program automatically starts the "select" command. And from there I can add or remove items after selecting them by either using "r" or "a" keys. For some reason, although functionally it works, the automatically started "select" command is not allowing the "r" and "a" functions to work.

Does what I describe make sense?

Thank you for replying,

BWSwede

Hang on guys, I may have found my problem. Look me experiment a bit more.

Thanks,

BWSwede

Welcome to the forum. :)

I know just what you mean, that is how it is set up on my system too.

Life is too short to waste all those uncalled for clicks.

Confirm your SELECTION tab settings in OPTIONS look like this, windowing style BOTH-AUTOMATIC DETECTION is alright also.

Whoops, you are on 2002?

I started in 2008, maybe the information will still help you, hope so.

Might it be a PICKADD need to be set to 1 issue?

confirm your selection variables thusly.jpg

I thought using 'r' and 'a' to remove / add selections only worked after a command had been started, at least that's the only way I have used them.

I thought using 'r' and 'a' to remove / add selections only worked after a command had been started, at least that's the only way I have used them.

Yes, you are correct, they are used transparently midcommand.

As it is working on my system, although I am using 2012, in the way which you are trying to reconfigure

I thought that seeing my current settings from the SELECTION tab might shed some light on your problem.

The availability of R & A is only midcommand.

once you have hit ENTER to complete the selection, you no longer have those shortcut options

at your disposal and will need to use the SHIFT option as suggested by BillBorec, or use S, as you mentioned in your earlier post.

Pardon me if I am mistaken, but are you sure you have not forgotten the sequence.

After hitting ENTER the command modifier shortcuts no longer are valid.

The OP is using 2002, if my memory is correct, he is describing the correct method. I have a busy weekend ahead, but I will try to check this on my 2000i at home if time allows.

I still believe you need to already have the Move, Copy, etc. commande active and recieved the select objects prompt, but it has been awhile since I have used 2000i. I usually select objects then invoke the command.

Folks,

Thanks for the input (Dadgag I believe you confused another poster with me). What is not working now compared to before, is the ability to add or remove to a set (using "a" or "r") without a command active. Quite often I would make a selection then add or remove to the set and then press the "delete" key. I am no longer able to do this. I can only make the "a" and "r" work when I have a command active like "move", "rotate" etc.

I suppose I could use the erase button to accomplish what I am trying to do, but it sure would be nice to be able to skip that step. In fact, prior to this change I often thought about taking the "erase" button off my sidebar as I never used it.

Thanks again,

BWSwede

I'm still using 2002 on a regular basis and what you have is normal behavior. I even tried editting "r" in acad.pgp to "remove". That didn't work. I've always just used shift to deselect.

Folks,

Thanks for the input (Dadgag I believe you confused another poster with me). What is not working now compared to before, is the ability to add or remove to a set (using "a" or "r") without a command active.

No, I didn't lose sight of the thread. (DadgaG? You must have been talking to my wife.) :)

What I see is that is how mine has always worked.

While selecting and defining the selection set, you have these two command modifiers available, but only until such a time as you have completed the selection set with the right click.

They appear to be part of the SELECT command which runs inside of other MODIFY type commands, and cannot be accessed directly otherwise, except by using the SELECT command.

They can also be accessed when using the P for previous selection set, but then too, that would be while you have a command running. :beer:

I'll be interested to see what SLW210 comes up with.

You sound quite sure this was not always so. I started in 2008, but robdraw seems pretty sure on this point, and he is using 2002.