Switches to papre space randomly

Dr Boffin

Hi everyone.

I recently got vanilla AutoCAD 2013 (XP) and am now having a problem where it will randomly switch to paperspace while i am working in a viewport usually during a command. I have searched the entire internet apparently no one else has ever had this problem. If anyone has any ideas I would be appreciative.

Welcome to the forum. :)

It would be helpful to see your commandline history,

which would show us what you were doing when this happened.

The next time it happens use F2 to open your commandline history window

and copy to the clipboard the last 12 lines or so, which should be more than enough

to show what you were doing when it happened. Then post it back into this thread to help us to help you get it sorted out.

Thanks Dadgad

Seems that it's doing the usual locked viewport pan zoon thing except it cancels the command and doesn't switch back to model space.

cad.JPG

What are you trying to do, go into your VIEWPORT or go to MODELSPACE?

What are you selecting and trying to copy in your VIEWPORT?

When it says switching back to Model Space I believe that it is merely activating your locked viewport, right?

I am trying to work in modelspace. It does not seem to matter which object i am selecting or which command if any is active. When I pan or zoom in a locked viewport it does not always automatically switch back to modelspace and any command that is running gets canceled.

Have you tried the MAXIMIZE VIEWPORT icon in your status tray?

Of course what happens will depend on whether or not the viewport is locked or not, and

whether or not the viewport perimeter is highlighted (not selected), but highlighted indicating that you really are in MODELSPACE, not paperspace.

Sorry if this sounds condescending, I have no idea how versed you are with the program,

although it sounds like you know your way around.

Do you DISPLAY YOUR MODEL AND LAYOUT TABS, as can be set on the DISPLAY tab in OPTIONS?

If so, why not use your MODEL tab to switch to modelspace?

No apologies necesarry i realize you are giving up your time to help a total stranger.

What you have suggested are good alternatives but i would prefer to work as i always have done in a locked viewport.

I agree I always lock my viewports.

If you use any of the options I suggested your viewport can still be locked,

but I suspect you already understand that.

Good luck with it, post back if you figure it out.

I use 2013 sometimes, but there are still a number of glitches in it.

I am still using 2012 for most of my work, until I am convinced that

those issues have been resolved.

Just to eliminate the obvious, you should realize that double-clicking outside the viewport will return you to paper space. Maybe the mouse is interpreting some other signal as a double click?