Origin "re-set"

JillAW

(Working with Inventor 2011)

When I'm in Sketch mode, there is one point on the screen that is at "0,0" (likewise, when I'm in Model mode, there a point at "0,0,0"). In 'ancient' 2D AutoCad, the user can redefine this 0,0 origin point. Can I do this in Inventor? (I do not mean set up another UCS-- I mean, I want to create a new point-- that I define--and have it read when I scroll over it with the mouse). Thanks!

Why?

The only time really that the origin - as a discrete point in space - means anything is for grounding your first sketch or your first part in an assembly.* In general, everything else will be dimensioned relative to another feature.

Stop thinking AutoCAD. This isn't AutoCAD, and if you try and work with it the same way that you worked in AutoCAD you're just going to be frustrated instead of productive.

*Yes, I know there are exceptions.

Why would you need to do this?

Been using Inventor for 10 years and never had a need to do this.

Attach your file here.