switching workspaces

fostertom

Excuse naive questions, just up from the country (Acad 2006 on XP) to big city (Adesk Architecture 30 day trial on W7). All these ribbons and things.

Workspaces are new to me but it seems the only one available is Architecture. Can I drop back to simple Acad 2013 (without Architecture extension), and get offered more workspaces? 2D detailing wd be ideal at present. I want to see Clipboard in Home> but that doesn't seem to be avail in Architecture workspace. Alt+E>S no longer works to Paste Special!

Is it possible to get the old fashioned (like Acad 2006) interface, just for immediate urgent familiar use?

Edited by fostertom

Start>All Programs>Autodesk>AutoCAD Architecture>Run as AutoCAD (or something like that).

You can right click and drag - copy an icon for vanilla AutoCAD to your desktop.

You might then set to Classic workspace.

If you enter OPTIONS at the commandline, check on your PROFILES tab to see if there is an Autocad Classic option available.

Or try TOOLS dropdown menu on your MENU BAR in the upper left hand corner of your display, then select TOOLBARS, to get your old friends back.

Choose the ones you want then SAVE your workspace so you can access it another time, also set it as YOUR workspace in the WORKSPACE SETTINGS dialog.

Tastic forum - never fails - thanks.

JDM's suggestion - no Run As was offered, unless I'm missing something. Dadgad's worked fine.

So I'm in plain Acad and JDM's next - set to Classic workspace - works fine too, even Alt+E>S - old friends, yes, tho I'll hope to leave them behind asap.

As plain Acad only shows up as a Profile, can't see how I can make a desktop icon out of it?

Edited by fostertom

It's gone again - on setting to Classic workspace, first time I got the old File Edit etc menu bar (and therefore could use Alt+E>S). But now, on setting to Classic workspace it stays on the new Home Insert etc ribbon format. What happened?

What, in workspace settings box? At top it says 'My Workspace =', and Acad Classic is selected. OK that, and the Home Insert etc tabs bar with ribbon is what displays. Perhaps I inadvertently saved that into the Classic Workspace. So I have to do something in Customise User Interface>Transfer? - or can I click a 'revert to default' button. Not sure what I'm trying to do here.

In your OPTIONS which PROFILE is being displayed on your PROFILES tab?

Rereading I see that you do have a PROFILE called Autocad available in your OPTIONS.

That is the one you want.

Let me know when you've got it.

You should be able to collapse the ribbon, or use the RIBBONCLOSE command.

First you want to make sure you are on the AUTOCAD profile.

Then choose TOOLS on your MENU BAR in the upper left corner at the top of your screen, and there you

can access your TOOLBARS.

Yes, I'm in Autocad Profile. In addition, in Workspace, I can select Autocad Classic, but with or without the latter I only get the Home Insert etc tabs and ribbon, not the traditional File Edit etc menu bar (I can go anywhere from File Edit etc - without it I'm lost.

Mainstream Architecture Help is no help as it tells me to click buttons that aren't there - looks like it refers to a previous interface version.

I did get the File Edit etc menu bar first time, but on closing and re-opening have since only got Home Insert etc - so I think I must have inadvertently reconfigured a CUI or something.

In Autocad profile there's no Tools button at top left. In Acad Architecture profile there is a Tools button but nothing on the dropdown about Toolbars. Until I see it, I don't know what 'access your toolbars' means - what exactly am I trying to do? Rebuild a Autocad>Classic CUI?

Do you have the drop down menu arrow. like I have circled in the image?

If so use it to select SHOW MENU BAR, where you can find your TOOLBARS.

dropdown menu access to menu bar.JPG

It sounds to me like you forgot to SAVE CURRENT as the workspace which you had set up and liked.

Instead you selected Autocad Classic, which probably still uses the ribbon instead of toolbars.

If you get the toolbars working open the WORKSPACES toolbar, and go into that dialog box and LOCK AND SAVE YOUR setup! :beer:

In the lower right hand corner of your screen, when you get it set up, you will see the WORKSPACE icon (gear) and the lock icon next to it which is used

to set your locking pfeferences for the workspaces you are using, or have saved.

You don't really need the WORKSPACES toolbar once you know where these are, and HOW TO USE THEM. :)

workspace settings and lock.JPG

Ah man, that simple - the little drop down menu arrow - now I have File Edit etc. Thank you!

I had not appreciated that File Edit etc can co-exist with Home Insert etc and ribbon - I thought it was either or. I can live with that - can find everything the old way plus play with the new. Too much.

So now it looks like Classic uses the traditional toolbars as well as the ribbon - which I can minimise or close.

I have saved as tom's classic. Thanks again

A couple of commands you probably want to remember ...RIBBONCLOSE to get rid of it

and RIBBON if you want to get it back.

You're welcome, glad you are back on solid ground. :beer:

Now that you have saved your workspace, so you know you can get it back,

take a look at the other workspaces and see if they have anything useful to offer you.

As it is only the trial version, make sure you explore it, and see what it has to offer,

in a timely fashion, so that any decisions you make regarding software options later are well informed.