Problem with 3D dimensions for isometric drawings

ammobake

I'm working on a project where I've modeled obstacles for an obstacle course on a military installation and I'm having some issues with isometric views and adding dimensions at various UCS orientations.

Basically, each obstacle has a plan view and an isometric to depict height of some of the material above ground level and below.

I've tried re-orienting the UCS to accomodate the dimensions and it works to a degree but there has to be an easier way.

When I select the points for my dimension, I'm prompted...

Specify dimension line location or

[Mtext/Text/Angle/Horizontal/Vertical/Rotated]:

I need the dimensions to be vertical in the isometric. I've been messing with it and I was able to eventually get it right but is there an easier way?

Whenever the dimension is drawn in model space the dimenion ends up far from where it needs to be. I always have to relocate it and re-select where I want the dimension lines to be.

Also, is there some kind of add-on that might make 3D dimensions easier?

Also, I have a thin solid representing the ground level so that everything below ground level results in a hidden line (due to the visual style I'm using) in the isometric drawings.

This works out great but any dimensions below ground level end up hidden. I don't think there is any way around this though with the style I have in use.

I've gone with simple callouts specifying overall material heights to avoid these issues in the meantime.

As always, any help is appreciated.

-ChriS

.... there has to be an easier way.

... but is there an easier way?

Also, is there some kind of add-on that might make 3D dimensions easier?

... any help is appreciated.

-ChriS

Not an add-in, but another Autodesk product. Autodesk Inventor does this directly.

See the attached, I think it makes it very simple to understand and practice.

Very well conceived and explained rkent. :beer:

• 1 month later...

Thanks rkent!

That's a handy reference.

what I ended up doing for the design set was I did side views and threw in dimensions in paper space. I kept the isometric view of each obstacle as a reference on how to construct each unit. I then showed a plan view of each obstacle to depict the on-center dimensions and lengths of the material.

To clarify what was needed for each one, I added a list of materials that shows lengths of all the different material and quantities.

-ChriS