Best AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012 book

Dan Johnson

I was curious to see what others have found to be the best AutoCAD civil 3D book available? I have a broad scope of C3D but I would like to know more specific information such as; What does every button do and how to edit everything, an indepth look into Pipe Networks, Grading, etc...

Does such a book exist or am i stuck to have to look into AutoCAD Help for everything? I trained myself on C3D via online tutorials but I seemed to have watched every Youtube video under the sun and i still want to know more.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. The book that I was thinking about ordering is this one, http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-AutoCAD-Autodesk-Official-Training/dp/1118016815/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343153631&sr=8-1&keywords=autocad+civil+3d

Is this is good one?

Dan, I got a couple books for 2009 C3D. One was the same "Mastering...". But in the end it seemed like they all focus on certain points to make about the program - no one book was all encompassing in my opinion. Sometimes they just give a short sentence about something they won't be covering in detail. It almost seems like you have to get the "beginner", "intermediate", "advanced", and "mastering" to have a full set. I ended up just using F1, forums, etc. because I would always find additional information that was not in the book - especially when it comes to work-arounds. Don't let me discourage you though. Everyone has their preferences. Oh, and trust me, I am still constantly learning a ton of stuff, with or without the books.

I would recommend finding a way to flip through some pages of a book you are considering. Try to find a subject in there that you are already well versed in, and then compare what level of detail the book has on the subject.

I've got the Mastering Civil 3D 2012 book and it is alright although is not something I would recommend we purchase again. I've also got another one called 'Harnessing AutoCad Civil 3D' and it is even worse as it is filled with many errors. I am yet to find a 'good' book on Civil 3D.

I've got the Mastering Civil 3D 2012 book and it is alright although is not something I would recommend we purchase again. I've also got another one called 'Harnessing AutoCad Civil 3D' and it is even worse as it is filled with many errors. I am yet to find a 'good' book on Civil 3D.

I can't comment on the Mastering book as I know all the writers and drank a few beers with them. However it doesn't matter what vertical and what book you use no one book can cover it all. The F1 button, forums and newsgroup are a lot of help (and cheaper) and most of the writers I know are willing to explain more if you buy them a few drinks at AU or something. ;)

• 1 month later...
Dan, I got a couple books for 2009 C3D. One was the same "Mastering...". But in the end it seemed like they all focus on certain points to make about the program - no one book was all encompassing in my opinion. Sometimes they just give a short sentence about something they won't be covering in detail. It almost seems like you have to get the "beginner", "intermediate", "advanced", and "mastering" to have a full set. I ended up just using F1, forums, etc. because I would always find additional information that was not in the book - especially when it comes to work-arounds. Don't let me discourage you though. Everyone has their preferences. Oh, and trust me, I am still constantly learning a ton of stuff, with or without the books.

I would recommend finding a way to flip through some pages of a book you are considering. Try to find a subject in there that you are already well versed in, and then compare what level of detail the book has on the subject.

I will go with this answer for you

We got the new 2013 books in the office the other day and one of them which I have briefly looked through was AutoCad Civil 3D Essentials 2013. This book, while a lot smaller than the Mastering Civil 3D book looks excellent from what I have seen so far and by-far the best book for a beginner. For a start the pages are good quality glossy paper and all the pictures are in colour. I have been using Civil 3D for a while although there is still a lot I don't know about it.

I will work through this book (i.e. on the chapters/features I am not well versed in) when I have spare time at work and post a full review once I have done so.