Attaching XREFS to many drawings (methods)

mrharris78

Maybe somebody can help?

If I have several hundred drawings, For example;

Drawing1.dwg

Drawing2.dwg

Drawing3.dwg

..etc..

and several hundred Xrefs;

XCdrg1.dwg

XCdrg2.dwg

XCdrg3.dwg

..etc...

Now, I need to do the following;

attach XCdrg1.dwg to Drawing1.dwg

attach XCdrg2.dwg to Drawing2.dwg

attach XCdrg3.dwg to Drawing3.dwg

..etc...

What is the quickest method? Script? (I have approximately 800 drawings and 800 xrefs and for CAD management reasons they need to be individual drawing files)

Cheers

H

:?

Drawing TrueView will bind or insert the XREFs and has many other options available during conversion including purge and audit and many ways to save your files. I have never put it to use but this looks like a great archiving tool.

Using a Script is the simplest solution, IMO. :thumbsup:

It's easy to setup using ScriptPro, or even Excel, and is reasonably fast given the simplicity of the task. I would however suggest that you should still code your task using LISP. It just makes the Script all that much easier to write.

The only other options are to either use ObjectDBX, but this also requires you be adept at coding in Visual LISP, using the Layout(Block) Objects, and the AttachExternalReference Method... Not as 'simple' as coding a Script, but significantly faster.

The only other option (even more complex than the last), is to use .NET/ObjectARX and/or RealDwg, which requires significantly more resources (both knowledge and software)... But, again, this is even faster than ObjectDBX. This is overkill, given the simplicity of the stated task, but available.

HTH