How to change the distance between array elements smarter?

khoshravan

Attached file shows a book cabinet. After manipulating the depth (32 cm) for many times, still I haven't got the ideal depth. Manipulating the distance is time consuming and I am looking for a smarter way to do it.

Changing the depth is cumbersome for me, as I act in the traditional way.

Let say if I want to change the depth of all shelves to 34, I choose 7 shelves from bottom, move all 2 cm down. In the next step I choose 6 shelves from bottom and move them 2 cm down and repeat until I reach the bottom.

In order to draw them, first: I use rectangle not lines which has some shortfalls, second: I use array command to copy them down.

This is not a smart way and I think there must be a better way. Although a LISP routine will solve it very easily, but I prefer a non-LISP solution.

I would like to know how do you solve this matter?

test-change length.dwg

Erase the bottom 6 shelves, and re-array them 2(cm) more than the original distance rather than doing 6 separate move operations.

Have you considered using the DIVIDE command to lay out the spacing first along a line describing the height which you are trying to fill, then using ARRAY to position them?

I am confused by your question. Would it not be easier (and quicker) to simply copy and paste the half a dozen shelves (rectangles) into the bookshelf (after doing the math on a calculator to check you can fit them in the bookcase etc)?

You should make your dimensions associative also (so they update automatically when you change your geometry).

Erase the bottom 6 shelves, and re-array them 2(cm) more than the original distance rather than doing 6 separate move operations.

That is a good idea but on that case I will loose purple and green numbers. I want to move them as well.

That is a good idea but on that case I will loose purple and green numbers. I want to move them as well.

Then use the STRETCH command (you'll have to do a little math first). You're making this way more difficult than it needs to be.

Then use the STRETCH command (you'll have to do a little math first). You're making this way more difficult than it needs to be.

I couldn't find a solution to add specific amount to all distances using stretch command. By stretch I can to each one at one step which has no advantage over my original solution.

I conclude that this problem has no short cut and I have to delete and draw from zero.

@Remark: I couldn't understand your second sentence. By "this way" you mean seeking another solution?

Have you considered using the DIVIDE command to lay out the spacing first along a line describing the height which you are trying to fill, then using ARRAY to position them?

My Problem is not placing the shelves. The general question is that, suppose after drawing the shelves and some other objects like numbering and annotating it, the boss makes a correction and distances change. Going through all modification is time consuming and it would be great to have a simple command for that.

I think it is better to look for LISP solution. Those who are excel with LISP, may have a good routine for this.

I don't think you have any idea what I meant by using the Stretch command.

You are over-thinking the problem.

If this is the type of work you generally do then perhaps consider using dynamic blocks for your shelves.

As far as the purple and green numbers it is too simple to use "Copybase" command or right click on your mouse and select "Copy with base point". Then you have the option to paste as a "Block" or just paste it. This way you paste all of the numbers with one click of the mouse. Can't get more simple than that.